Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently, my little Sheltie terror has been going absolutely ballistic during our walks everytime a car, person, or just about anything moves. I've been trying to use a harness so he doesnt end up choking himself or breaking his own neck, but I'd really like to get this stopped. I had him to the point where he would sit everytime a car would go by and he wouldn't make a peep, but now all of a sudden he goes nuts and I can't even distract with treats. Anyone have ideas on how to curb this?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
How old is he?
If I understand your post, this was something you'd been working on, had some success with, but now it's going backwards, is that correct?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is 4 months old.

We were working on it and he was doing well. It was a very sudden change to where he has completely lost everything we were working on, and it wasn't even like this before. This is all new behavior. Before, he would either ignore or look up.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Could be a late fear period the dog is going though. Keep on working with your dog in an area that is quiet with little or no distractions. If this is helpful, then , slowly start to work your way back one step at a time. Your use of sit or other means of distraction is good and will help, just go slow.

Best , oldhound

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree, could be a fear stage. Puppies go through several fear stages, and sometimes, if that's the stage he's at, things that he used to be ok with could now scare him....

Take a few steps back and try again. Take baby steps to get him back to where he is. But, if you just avoid the situations, thinking that's just how he is, you're likely to not make it back to where you were.

Work under his threshold. So, if he used to be able to sit on the sidewalk every time a car went by, now maybe you need to get some distance away from the car, so he feels safer, and gradually, over time, work back to being closer to the car. (or person, or bike, or whatever.) From his reaction you should be able to tell what distance he's comfortable with and work from there....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts