Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 month old lab mix rescue named Tom. I am currently working with him on teaching him the boundary around my 4 acre yard. He is doing good so far, but I am worried if I take him on a walk I will ruin the progress I've made. Do you think walking him will confuse him? It's not a question of him getting exercise, as the yard is so big. I will also mention that I am a Cesar Millan fan, so answers from people familiar with his techniques would be especially appreciated.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem. He is walking with you after all and you are leading him. In my eyes, that is permission to go off boundary and as long as he is with you and you are controlling the activity. You initiate the activities so he will understand when it is time to walk and when it is time to stay within the boundary. Just keep up with the training, and make sure you feel 100% sure he will stay within the boundary before testing him.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Oh!! Also, if you're haven't already, teach him a release cue so you can release him from the boundary. And every time you want to take him out of the boundary, or have him come out on his own, release him every time, and I mean literally EVERY time. Condition the release cue so he only comes out of the boundary when he hears the "release" and no other word. There are lots of helpful videos on youtube to teach the release cue, kikopup has really good videos on it, plus one on boundary training if you're interested.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts