Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my wife have been talking about wanting a dog for a long time. we both had dogs throughout our childhoods, my wife a Siberian Husky, and me a German Shepherd, Labrador, Chow mix. We both prefer big dogs but our apartment complex limits dogs to 25 pounds.

We finally had a little time so we went to the shelter (neither of us want to ever buy a dog from anywhere other than a shelter or rescue group) last week to kind of look around. We didn't expect to find the right dog right away. well we did! A 2 1/2 year old male Japanese Chin named batman! we had to work some paperwork out with our apartment managers so we told the shelter we would come back for him.

what they didn't tell us he hadn't been neutered yet. so we went back to get him on tuesday and thats when they decided to tell us we couldn't take him home with us till next tuesday.

IT IS TORTURE!!!

that's all. I just wanted to share my anticipation, and excitement!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Yay for new doggie!!! Are you gonna keep the name batman? I think it's pretty awesome. The anticipation sucks but we all know it's worth it in the end :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yay Happy Dance, for having found the perfect Pup, yay for them being responsble and not allowing hm to leave unaltered, Booo for having to wait so long....

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
How exciting! At least you won't have to deal with the neutering recovery period. I like the name Batman! Are you going to keep it? You KNOW we'll want pictures!!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Congratulations, I can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Congrats. I have a 3 year old male Japanese Chin, too. His name is Zephyr. He's very loveable, but the strangest dog I have ever had - in a good way.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We are DEFINITELY keeping the name batman. I think it will be funny at the dog park when I yell "come batman" lol. And there will be pictures as soon as we get him. How long is the neutering recovery period? Because we are getting him the same day as the surgery. I always assumed it was a couple hours of rest, a couple days of no rough housing or straining, and just make sure they don't chew the stitches

·
Registered
933 Posts
We are DEFINITELY keeping the name batman. I think it will be funny at the dog park when I yell "come batman" lol. And there will be pictures as soon as we get him. How long is the neutering recovery period? Because we are getting him the same day as the surgery. I always assumed it was a couple hours of rest, a couple days of no rough housing or straining, and just make sure they don't chew the stitches
That is pretty much it.. My guy was back to acting normal by the very next day. (Neutered at 10 months and is very active) However, to be safe they suggest if at all possible to restrict activity for at least a week.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are borderline pathetic. We are so excited to get batman that we went to the pound to see him. Just 3 more days!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Not, pathetic at all, as a matter of fact the rescue/shelter I use to work for encouraged adopters to visit their adoptees as often as possible during the holding period before altering surgery. They felt it allowed both dog/cat and owner time to get know each other and in doing so made the transition from shelter to home much easier on everyone..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
FINALLY!!!!!!!!! Batman is now officially our first born son. :) It feels so good to have a dog again. I forgot how much i missed it. He needs a little work on loose leash walking, and obedience training but is very smart. he didn't want to go into his kennel to sleep last night so we left him out. well he also didn't like being alone so i ended up sleeping on the couch by him. lol.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts