Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I busted my Kindle. I was packing my bags for the eighth time because I'm OCD, when my backpack slipped and fell off the table. When I opened my kindle, the screen was cracked.

I'm heartbroken.

The warranty doesn't cover accidents (and, because it didn't occur to me to do otherwise, I told the truth over the phone and described exactly what happened, including the 'crunch' sound I heard from my pack), but they will send a replacement for $65. So I'll have a new one in two days for a nominal fee, but still - I'm utterly dejected.

I love my Kindle.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
that sucks :(

i have a kobo and i love it dearly. i don't know what i would do if it broke. it doesn't seem like the screen on that could crack though. i wonder if it is different?

·
Registered
514 Posts
What happens to all your books that you bought when your kindle breaks? Does amazon transfer them to the new kindle? Is it like a lifetime ownership of those books, so long as amazon stays in business?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
OMG, my Kindle screen busted a while back too! And nothing even happened to it, it was just in my bag like usual and one day only a small corner of the screen would register. It's now on a perpetual John Steinbeck screensaver.

I keep meaning to call Amazon and request a replacement but I have no idea if that would even be possible because I bought it at Best Buy. :(

that sucks :(

i have a kobo and i love it dearly. i don't know what i would do if it broke. it doesn't seem like the screen on that could crack though. i wonder if it is different?
I think the electronic ink screen is MUCH more fragile than a normal screen like on a computer or a cellphone. I honestly really like reading from eink but I probably won't buy another device with it because what's the point of having something portable that is so fragile it can't take the normal wear and tear of being in my purse or backpack?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
That does suck. I'm so device addicted I often rotate between kindle, laptop & smart phone. Take them away and I would literally have to sit in my hands to keep from fidgeting. I've found myself mentally "flicking" people off my brain screen if they're being really boring. Not a good way to get ahead behaving like that in meetings. :)

$65 doesn't sound bad to replace it, though. Thanks for posting about that. Mine is in a neoprene case which I don't think offers much protection at all, so I'm thinking I'll be replacing it at some point, too.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
I think the electronic ink screen is MUCH more fragile than a normal screen like on a computer or a cellphone. I honestly really like reading from eink but I probably won't buy another device with it because what's the point of having something portable that is so fragile it can't take the normal wear and tear of being in my purse or backpack?
i am pretty sure the kobo has an eink screen too. it just doesn't seem like it would crack. i am more worried about my cats scratching it and tearing the screen.

i made a case for mine. i lined it with fleece and put plastic inside (between the fabric) on the side where the screen goes. that way i can put it in my bag or my purse and i don't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
What happens to all your books that you bought when your kindle breaks? Does amazon transfer them to the new kindle? Is it like a lifetime ownership of those books, so long as amazon stays in business?
I don't know about the kindle, but with the Nook Color, your library is stored on the your Barnes and Noble account. You can transfer it to a new device. I assume it is the same with the kindle. My husband and I share an account so we have the same library. We tend not to like the same books though....

·
Super Moderator
11,513 Posts
The Kindle library is safe and secure and can be downloaded onto the new device.

Or onto an iPad or Smart Phone with the free Kindle app installed.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The e-ink screen seems to be fragile; I had it in the Amazon-branded leather cover, but it was in a heavy backpack that fell about three feet. It was my fault completely - really, the warranty shouldn't cover an accident like this. Nevertheless, I'm impressed that they offered to replace it for $65, which I imagine to be rather close to the wholesale cost.

Anyway, it's ridiculous how attached to the damned thing I've become, but I was also right in the middle of the big reveal in 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' and headed for a flight, so I was rather pissed at the unfortunate timing. I resumed reading on my Android phone, which was not quite as nice given my poor eyesight, but my replacement will arrive in a few days. I just felt like venting.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I got a pretty good case for my Kindle -- this one. It makes holding it feel more like holding a real book, and it seems to offer good protection while not obscuring any part of the screen or blocking the buttons. It has hidden magnets that hold the cover closed when I'm not using it. Might be Canada-only (Roots is a Canadian company), but I'm sure there are similar ones available in the states.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I got a pretty good case for my Kindle -- this one. It makes holding it feel more like holding a real book, and it seems to offer good protection while not obscuring any part of the screen or blocking the buttons. It has hidden magnets that hold the cover closed when I'm not using it. Might be Canada-only (Roots is a Canadian company), but I'm sure there are similar ones available in the states.
I have a 5 inch Sony Pocket Edition. I have dropped it at least six times...and hold my breath everytime. So far, so good though. Mine is in a hardcover type leather thingy with a light. I don't really like the cover, but that must be what has saved it. I even dropped it twice at work on a cement floor covered with linoleum. I feel for ya, I would be totally lost without mine, even for a single day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts