Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And i'm really looking forward into using it!
That means waiting Apollo to dry up from his latest mud bath:D

I couldn't get the harness because i was 5 bucks short, but i believe there isn't much difference between both.

Any thing i should be prepared for that ISN'T mentioned in the training guide and DvD??

Thanks peeps!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just be prepared for people to think you have a muzzle on him. It will take time for him to get used to it. We have one for our 6 year old Golden, who is too hyper and has actually pulled my shoulder out, from his pulling. The Gentle Leader works wonders. He's an angel on the leash with it, and a lunatic without it. Let him wear it around the house while giving him treats before attempting to take him out in it.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Do very short periods of time with it on at first, put it on, give really good treats, take it off, rinse and repeat.

Allie figured out how to pull with one of those on. Lloyd would not stop digging at his face, despite really trying to acclimate him to it. I just went with the harness for Nash.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Alot will depend on how you introduce it and your dogs temperment. It's fairly common for dogs to paw at it for awhile. Some will become resigned to the point that their tail and head will drop and the 'spark' will go out of them (this is one reason why service dogs have them). Some won't even notice a difference and on rare occassion one will think he's being crucified.

·
Banned
335 Posts
I personally dislike the GL and will not use it. However, since you seem to want to use it, I'd like to make some points:

PLEASE be sure that the halter does not touch the dog's eyes. The slightest rubbing can cause eye ulcers.

NEVER give a dog a correction with the halter line. For that matter, be careful what kind of training method you use. If you traditionally use the "sudden reverse" method of training loose leash walking, then please abandon that right not, since dogs can suffer neck injuries if their heads are pulled upon to suddenly.

ALWAYS remember that the GL is just a training tool. If you let yourself be lulled into thinking that the dog's problem is corrected by using the GL and do not do any training that takes advantage of the dog's relative obedience, then you are not using the tool correctly.

Finally,

MAKE SURE you use this tool under the guidance of a professional. I have seen a dog with a lovely temperament turned into a resistant dog that was difficult to train because of someone's insistence on using only the GL and "purely positive" training methods.

Good luck training your dog--I wish you all the best!

·
Banned
352 Posts
Alot will depend on how you introduce it and your dogs temperment. It's fairly common for dogs to paw at it for awhile. Some will become resigned to the point that their tail and head will drop and the 'spark' will go out of them (this is one reason why service dogs have them). Some won't even notice a difference and on rare occassion one will think he's being crucified.
The difference in the way my wife's Guide works with the GL as opposed to without is obviously noticeable; at least to anyone who knows what to look for. Her Guide can be rather...............spirited at times, and the GL is a "reminder" that helps her keep on task. With her retired Guide, she had no problems, but with her current one she needs this tool to maintain her pack leader status. Whenever Roanna gets a little too uppity, just the sight of the GL coming out of the purse is sometimes enough to calm her down. The instances of use have gone way down in the last year.
When the need arises, I am glad this tool is available to my wife to help keep her safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts