Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of posters here work at shelters, so I thought I'd ask..

I am currently looking for a new job, and being unemployed now I have lots free time (though I've got an interview tuesday, so if it goes well, I will have less free time).

Regardless, I have been thinking for a while about volunteering at the county animal shelter. They have applications online that you print off and send in, and orientations about every 3 months (the next one being August 17th).

My question is, what criteria do they look for in volunteers. I'm not sure how many volunteer applicants they get, but do they generally look for people with experience working with animals? Are they willing to let someone without working experience with animals volunteer?

From what I've read on their website, they just take applications and hold periodic orientations. It mentions nothing about interviews. I'm just curious, because I'd like to volunteer, but there's nothing on my resume that would qualify me for working with animals (other than that I have some).

Any insight would be appreciated =)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I've worked for rescues, so it might not work the same, but none of the ones I've worked for even asked if you knew how to hold a leash. I quit at one place, because I was tired of being in charge of walking, watering, cleaning up after, and talking to people about 30 dogs all on my own. They had other people but they jsut wanted to sit around and play with the puppies. God forbid one of the pups poop or pee on the floor, because it's just sooooo gross. >:[

So any way, I doubt they are looking for any thing spacific.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my case, I hope they are not looking for anything specific. I do want to help the dogs, but also I hope to learn and gain insight and experience and possibly use the experience as a helpful reference get a job I want.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I work for a shelter location for a rescue, but there really isn't any thing specific we look for. People just sign up, go to the orientation, and then they're volunteers. I could tell you what I personally like and don't like as a staff member, but that's just rambling.

Where are you in Michigan? Maybe I'm familiar with the shelter.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Are you just looking to volunteer or a staff position? If you just want to volunteer I don't think they'll be too picky, staff on the other hand they're probably looking for people with some decent experience.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I work for a shelter location for a rescue, but there really isn't any thing specific we look for. People just sign up, go to the orientation, and then they're volunteers. I could tell you what I personally like and don't like as a staff member, but that's just rambling.

Where are you in Michigan? Maybe I'm familiar with the shelter.
I'm in Grand Rapids. I'm going to apply to volunteer at the Kent county animal shelter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts