Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this group, I was looking around the internet for information on dogs who vomit or really regurgitate about every time they eat. Our lab started doing just that on March 10th. He basically lost every meal he ate. We called the vet on the 11th and he suggested that he got into something "yucky" and to give him a couple of days and with hold food. I did that. When I fed him on Friday the 13th, back up everything came. On Saturday morning I went to our vet hospital and the doc gave me some medicine to calm and coat his tummy. I was told to stop all feedings, just give him the medicine in a piece of bread. that worked great on Saturday but bam Sunday morning, wrapped the meds in the bread, he ate it and then about an hour later, up came the bread and meds. A few hours later he lost more, seemed to be old digested food. so on Monday I called the vet hospital and they told me to bring him up, probably an obstruction, they did the barium xray thing, with held all food and water until Wednesday morning when they fed him Science diet ID mixed with water, just like a paste, he puked that too. We finally brought him home on Wednesday afternoon and have been feeding him about a tablespoon of ID every couple of hours but he has puked that a couple of times, so I gotta tell you, we are frustrated, worried etc. His blood work came back normal but the poor boy can't keep his lunch down. I would sure appreciate any input, suggestions etc. We want to get our baby back on track again. He does play, is affectionate but seems a little tired. thanks so much for any input, and sorry this is so long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The barium study showed there was no obstruction at all, we looked at the info on megaesophagus and we are sure hoping that is NOT something he has, if it is it is still very mild. Since he came home on Wednesday night he has only thrown up once. thanks for your info it may be very helpful.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I would put him on liquids only right now. 24 hours of water, salt free broth. rice water maybe. His system is really irritated and you know there isn't an obstruction, right? Is he pooping? What is that like?

If he cannot hold the liquid then he may be dehydrated and needs to be at the vet getting IV or subcutaneous fluids. Now. Once dehydrated it is hard to get it back without help.

Check the skin, if you pull it up does it go back into shape fast? Check the gums. If they are pale, sticky or when you press on them and it takes a while to turn pink, dehydrated. Easiest for me with Sassy's floppy skin, brush the hair against the grain, it should go back into place fast, if it goes slowly, dehydrated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the great help everyone, we have moved past the no food/water thing and when he came home from the hospital on Wednesday night we started to feed him very small meals. He is drinking much better now. I made some boiled (actually steamed organic chicken breasts) using the water from that, I blended the 2 together and put it all in a bowl, Every 2-3 hours I am giving him plain rice mixed with the chicken. He loves it and eats it right down. So far he has not thrown up since early thursday morning. We are more concerned about WHY this is happening now. My husband heard about Dynovite and wants to try that product as a way of helping his digestion, they have a product called Carnolum. Is anyone familiar with this product? Is it just hype or does it actually help?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I think the I/D was too soon. These are the ingredients.

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Brewers Rice, Dried Egg Product, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Powdered Cellulose, Dicalcium Phosphate, Chicken Liver Flavor, Iodized Salt, Potassium Citrate, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols & Citric Acid, Rosemary Extract.

Versus what you are giving now.

White meat chicken, boiled rice. Water.

Which do you think would be easier on the stomach? It isn't even low fat 14% by weight is 28% of calories from fat.

He loves the good chicken and rice now as he is hungry but don't worry, it is very low fat and boring so he will want to go back to a regular dog food in time.

Feed the rice and chicken for about a week, increasing the amount and reducing the number of meals as he feels better. Then add in his regular food bit by bit.

Dogs get tummy aches like any other animal. If the conservative treatment of short fast, liquids then rice/chicken don't improve the situation then go to the vet. It took me a really long time to learn this from my children's doctor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Kathyy, thanks for your thoughtful reply. We did NOT realize what was in the I/D until the day after we returned from the vet hospital. We were pretty frazzeled by then as our dog had been sick for several days, then in hospital for 3 days. Yips we were just upset, but then to compound it with reading the ingredients....my husband and I started on a special diet almost 3 years ago that took us off ALL sugar, corn, soy almost all carbs and we felt it was a good way to feed our dog and cat too. We live in a pretty rural area and our vet suggested we use Science diet Lamb and Rice, we had been using Science Maintenance for many years. This is the 3rd lab we have had in 21 years. He seemed to do just fine on that until March 10th. Now we are very concerned about keeping him on Science Diet. We have been trying to figure out what to feed him. We had pretty much decided on Canidae, we even have a guy who sells it 25 miles away but tonight my husband saw several people had written that the quality of Canidae has gone way down. He has been looking in Orijen and Eagle Pack I think it is. How does a person know which dog food is okay?? We would rather our lab was off all corn and the goofy by products they put in dog foods. We are going to keep him on the chicken and rice for a couple more days but begin to add regular dog food to the mix, I was going to add about 1/3 cup to each feeding tomorrow. I have been feeding him 4-6 times a day with smaller amounts. He used to get 2 cups in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. He is a very active dog and it has been odd to see him kind of lethargic, but he is perking up now. We are so grateful, he is so a sweetie and just turned 6 today!

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Well...Happy Birthday to your guy! :D:D I hope he's feeling better.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Let me offer some speculation. A friend had a large Golden Retriever. As he got older , he started losing weight, because he couldn't keep food down. They thought it was allergy, and bought special food, feeding 6 small meals a day.

Other than throwing up, the dog was fine, and would still eat things he wasn't supposed to, causing him to throw up more.

After he died, they did an autopsy (necropsy) and found that the opening to his stomach was restricted - I don't recall a name and I don't think it was megaesophagus. Not sure how you diagnosis it without exploring. I don't know if there is a treatment, but they seemed to do what you are doing, feeding many small meals a day, and watching what he eats.

My two cents.

- Hank Simon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts