Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What else can I do? So my 1 year old English Pointer has been vomiting a few times a week for the past few weeks. It's usually greyish/brown with some undigested bits, partially suggested bits and mush.

I know sometimes it's what they consume. She is on ProVita and has been for almost 6 months now without much issue before. She is a grazer but I thought I've been doing a pretty good job of managing her environment. The other day she did eat a weed in the grass that I missed and threw it up.

I know sometimes they regurgitate if they eat one large meal or too quickly. She has been fed 3-4 times a day since we got her at 8 weeks old, sometimes more often depending, plus treats (usually kibble mixed with Sojos Simply Turkey or Simply Lamb raw freeze dried meat treats). She is also an inhaler so she is always fed from interactive food dispensing toys (Kongs, Tricky Treat Ball, Tug A Jug, Snoop, Maze Bowls, etc.).

At first she freezes, then looks at me with her "Mom I Don't Feel Good" face. Within a few minutes, she seems her normal self again and sometimes tries to eat her vomit. Then she is ravenous, searching everywhere for food. Picking up random items, even inedible items to test them and shooting them out if deemed inedible. She is completely distracted by her hunger, unable to listen or do anything except stare at or search for food. She will sleep if I shut her in her crate. I have relented and given her food after a half hour before and she kept it down. I know this is likely not an emergency our a need to see the vet but what else can I do to prevent all the vomiting?

·
Registered
180 Posts
See a vet, make sure her weight is good and, there are no GI issues or deficiencies going on. She may simply be hungry and need more food but, fist a vet needs to rule out other problems.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Vomiting a couple times a week is considered a "need to see the vet" scenario. It's not normal. You should rule out medical issues, and if there's nothing medical wrong, you can assume it's something she's getting into on a regular basis, or even her food.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.