Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there are a whole ranges of vitamins and supplements people can and do incorporate into their dogs diets. I have never done so myself but after reading and some of them I am curious to know more and whether some of them might be beneficial for my dog.

So the question is: What vitamins or supplements do you use or have you used in the past? What were they supposed to do? What was your dog's health like at the time when you started giving the supplements? Did they do what they were supposed to in your opinion?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I just started feeding raw, and my vet has been very supportive. But she recommended I add in pet tabs everyday as an overall daily vitamin. I quickly ruled that out, but decided it was sound advice to look into supplements at least.

I am currently giving fish oil every day, and Vitamin E twice a week. If you supplement fish oil ALWAYS supplement Vitamin E as well. Fish oil can cause a vitamin E deficiency in dogs. I then added solid gold sea meal. It’s mostly trace minerals, but it also has plant enzymes. The plant enzymes help the dogs to digest any vegetables that I didn't puree well enough. Dogs don't produce the enzymes that break plant cell walls.

I am now considering a B complex vitamin. Vitamins A, D, K, and E are fat soluble. Meaning they are stored in your fat cells until they get used. Overdosing these vitamins can cause toxicity in humans as well as dogs. Vitamins C and B on the other hand, are water soluble. Overdoses of these vitamins are released from the body in urine. Very little is actually stored daily. There are pretty much no known cases of toxicity.

But dogs produce vitamin C in their liver in very large amounts. People only get Vitamin C from their diet. I found a very informative article on Vitamin C in dogs last night.

http://k9joy.com/dogarticles/dogfood01vitaminC.pdf

B complex vitamins are only obtained through your dog’s diet. And deficiencies in one of these can cause all sorts of horrible things. And there are no known cases of toxicity, so I pretty sure I will supplement that.

You just need to keep in mind that over supplementing has just has many drastic results as under supplementing. This is why I choose sea meal, since it is a natural source of minerals as opposed to a synthetic one in MUCH higher doses. You can also use kelp and alfalfa I believe.

The dog aware site also has some great info on supplementing. But I would still check everything on that site, with other sources and your vet.:)
http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html#supplements

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
MY Max has always been pretty healthy so all my little pinches and dabs don't really make any difference in his health that I can note, other than the major improvements since he started eating raw anyway. I do add a pinch of kelp, fish oil if he hasn't had any fish lately, Vitamin E, some minerals and Vitamin B complex. Except for the E all of it is just in case stuff. I use human supplements as I don't really want to feed the flax, brewer's yeast and liver that is in dog supplements.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I don't use any supplements because I feel her diet is adequate, but I also don't use vitamins for myself even though I might benefit from it. I'm just not disciplined enough to give anyone a pill every day.

DH's cat gets a urinary supplement every day that I remember. I gave Sadie Angel Eyes once.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
My dogs get their supplements in a spoonful of canned green tripe as dessert. I am harassed until I give it to them. Tripe and fish oil, yum. If it wasn't for the tripe I would forget!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fish oil is the main supplement I was thinking about adding. I'll have to ask my vet about that along with the vitamin E. Thanks for the replies guys!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I've always been one to believe that with any pet, just as with people, an adequate diet supplies all that's needed. Unless of course there is a specific health issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts