Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our basset had surgery in both eyes, and although he can see some things, according to the vet, he needs reading glasses.

He has no problem going down SOME stairs, but he refuses to go down the six stairs to the garage. He will go up them, though. I'm sure it's a phobia from his being blind and wearing a cone days...

Winter is coming and he won't be able to use the patio as an exit door for his walks.

Any tips on getting him to use stairs?

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
172 Posts
Work with treats and retrain him on them.

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
Is the area well lit? Are the stairs slippery? Make sure the stairs are as visible as possible for him and easy to navigate, and then yes, begin training him to go up and down using treats. Slowly but surely.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Being a basset, and generally being prone to back issues as a breed, I'd have him checked by your vet for that.

Going down stairs (as opposed to going up) is usually tougher on their skeleture due to the weight bearing nature of it. Which may explain why there is reluctance in one direction but not the other.

I'm not saying this is the case here, but I think it's worth ruling in or out just to be sure.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Would a ramp section be too steep? Or more short steps so that the incline is more gradual? I'm just brainstorming....
I do think it's possible his vision is a bit distorted and he may have trouble gaging distance and incline.

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
172 Posts
Thinking on this, can you paint the stairs to make them more distinct from the garage floor. Many garage steps are cement and the same color as the floor. For a near blind dog (or person) that can make it almost impossible to distinguish the individual steps. He may simply see a big gray area and then step to have the bottom disappear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts