Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I know there are several threads on the quality of rations, but from what i have found, there's nothing on this subject.

My dog (x labrador) rejects every food.
Within 1 year and a half, already tried 5 or 6 different brands (hills, taste of the wild, creators, Nutrivet, ...) always with the same result: never loves, eats about half of recommended and therefore, he is a very skinny dog .

So, i have to do what i always try do do: try to find food that he likes.

What's your opinion on this ration: Imagine Visan.

I know there are better ones but this fits well on my budget.

What do you think:

COMPOSITION:
Fresh chicken meat (40%), poultry meal (25%), rice (15%), chicken oil, corn, corn gluten feed, hydrolysed chicken liver (5%), beet pulp, fish feed, yeast (2.5%), potato protein, linseed, salt, egg, fish oil, inulin (source of FOS 0.1%), sodium polyphosphates (0.3%), mannan oligosaccharides (MOS 120 mg/Kg), citrus extracts, yucca extract, glucosamine, chondroitin, potassium chloride.

ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS:
Crude protein 27.00%. Crude oils and fats 16.00%. W6 fatty acids 3.30%. W3 fatty acids 0.45%. EPA + DHA 950 mg/Kg. Crude fibre 2.00%. Crude ash 6.85%. Calcium 1.20%. Phosphorous 0.90%.

ADDITIVES:
NUTRICIONALES:

Vitamin A 17,500 UI/Kg, vitamin D3 2,000 UI/Kg, vitamin E 275 mg/Kg; vitamin C 100 mg/Kg; biotin (vit. H) 0.36 mg/Kg, thiamine (vit. B1) 9.50 mg/Kg, Folic acid 1.40 mg/Kg, copper (cupric sulphate pentahydrate) 8.80 mg/Kg, iron (sulphate monohydrate) 230 mg/Kg, zinc (methionate 60 mg/Kg and oxide 130) mg/Kg, selenium (sodium selenite) 0.65 mg/Kg; iodine (potassium iodide) 3.5 mg/Kg; manganese (sulphate monohydrate) 7.5 mg/Kg; cobalt (sulphate heptahydrate) 1.5 mg/Kg; taurine 700 mg/Kg; carnitine 50 mg/Kg.

TECHNOLOGICAL:
Natural tocopherol-based antioxidants (230 mg/Kg).

ORGANOLEPTIC:
Lutein 8.3 mg/Kg

Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Dog food bags will almost always recommend an amount that would be considered overfeeding. Half that serving might actually be spot on for some dogs.

Are you sure your dog isnt just self regulating? Have any photos?

Keeping your dog lean can be healthy as long as they aren't malnourished.

As for that food I've never heard of it and I'm not sure about some of the ingredients so will let someone else comment on it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you're concerned about your dog not eating enough and don't want to switch off of an otherwise healthy food brand have you considered adding toppers to increase his desire to finish the entire meal?
Mix a little yogurt into his meal, boil some plain chicken breast, add some raw tidbits to his meal, rice, buy a can of water-preserved low sodium sardines and mash or leave two of them whole mixed into his food.

I've got nothing on suggestions for your food amounts and qualities, but like Gally said perhaps he doesn't need as much food as your feeding him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for your responses,

It's is always so hard for him to eat. Sometimes he stays one entire day without eating nothing. And i rarely give him treats.

My vet tells that he is healthy, but he could gain a few pounds.

That's why i keep trying to give him something he would enjoy.

My other dog (a pure labrador) vacuums his food, i even have a slow-feeder for him.

I would prefer to find a food that he likes rather than add toppings to it. so this is why i am trying every quality food (on budget) before any other solution, and therefore my initial questions, if visan imagine is a good dog food, or any other brand.

Thanks once again.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Why aren't you giving him more treats? Training isn't something that should end, it's a lifelong affair, and there are tons of great, healthy treat options out there that would help him maintain his weight and his interest in working with you. Cooked chicken or beef, dried meats, cheese, lamb lung and there are all sorts of processed treats available online and in pet stores. Have you tried bully sticks? Most dogs love to chew those and they contain enough calories to be a good addition to a dog who needs some bulk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts