Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Is hitting ok?

• NEVER!!! Its cruel!

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Only when they do something really bad.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I hit my dogs all the time.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • No, it doesnt teach anything to the animal.

Votes: 34 69.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
We used +P 20-30 years ago, but we know better ways now... However, now that we've outed wvasko - I bet Pierce just bats his eyes and still gets away with murder. :) I can reveal the secret of my shameful slaps. Those of you who have large Pits or Labs, don't snicker...
1. A Lab has a baseball bat for a tail, and a rear end that can swing it! If you lightly slap a young, healthy adult Lab on the rear end, he may wag his tail, and if you slap him hard (hurting your hand), he may turn and look at you - Oh, Oh - b/c now he wants to play ...
2. This may also be true of large Bullies (Staffies) and Boxers... but sometimes you can hurt a Staffy's feelings if you wag your finger at him and whisper 'bad dog.' A Lab would lick you, trying to drown you, that hit you with his tail.
3. I know, b/c I did this to my Lab-GSD mix. Once. He never knew of my infraction, b/c he thought I was playing :)
4. Although I still thump (or slap?) the tip of his tail when he's sniffing/eating something on the ground that I don't 'allow.'
So I thump him when he ignores me... and he'll sit, still ignoring me ... so I have to drag him away from that disgusting $#!% on the ground.
5. I'm much more gentle with him now, because he's older and more fragile ... Although he can still get the zoomies when it's cold.
6. ... but I wouldn't strike him to train him... unless he thought it was ++R :)
7. I was just at the dog park today and a strange, adolescent Rottie came and hit me with his rump. So I slapped it, and he leaned harder.. and I slapped him harder... he turned and smiled at me, really, and leaned harder. I looked at his owner, who looked back, shook his head, shrugged his shoulders, and nodded... Rotties are like Labs... :)

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
1. A Lab has a baseball bat for a tail, and a rear end that can swing it! If you lightly slap a young, healthy adult Lab on the rear end, he may wag his tail, and if you slap him hard (hurting your hand), he may turn and look at you - Oh, Oh - b/c now he wants to play ...
I believe it!

One thing I forget dealing with a small tail cushioned with long hair is that dog tails are weapons of somewhat massive destruction (WSMDs). I get reminded whenever a friendly big dog wants to meet me, and, of course, I can't refuse the siren call of nose licks and an ear twitch and then WHAP WHAP WHAP - I'm brutalized by his/her tail.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
LOL Hankismom, I play slap all my dogs (pug, Dobe and EB) and they all enjoy it, it revs them up. I can stop any of them in their tracks by raising my voice, and will give a single loud clap to interrupt behavior. The EB is a little head shy, not sure if he was hit or not but I strongly suspect he was, so hands are for good things only.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
My dog has not been "Hit" in anger (as far as he knows :) ) and I play threaten him with all kinds of things... so he's not hand shy. However, when he is surprised by loud noises, even if the TV gets overly loud for commercials, then he may cringe or flinch when I 'threaten' him. He forgets it after a few minutes ... but I was so shocked (and 'embarrassed') when he cringed the first time.

My point is that just shouting at the EB in a previous life, might have caused the head shyness. [I've never seen anything written about this collateral effect.]

Hope you're doing OK with Hurricane Sandy...

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
My point is that just shouting at the EB in a previous life, might have caused the head shyness. [I've never seen anything written about this collateral effect.]
I'm not sure that would be labeled as headshy more of a mental shy. For conversation sake it's known that you could take a metal pan and once a day for 2 or 3 weeks (or longer) drop it by pups together or kenneled in separate kennel runs and never get a reaction at all. Then one day for whatever reason one pup will go yelping to back of kennel.

I believe it's possible with older pups 4 months to a year old (or older) and the same thing can happen. It does not have to be from abuse, more like a dog being in the wrong place when the wrong sound etc smacks him/her mentally. Hope I've written it like it's in my head cause sometimes I'm not good explaining.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Understood & Clear [5 by 5]... So, now I've seen it written down... and I think I understand the 'process' from a fear cycle perspective. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well this is the Dumb (me) leading the Blind (you) as I said it's just for conversation sake. I think a shorter/easier to understand version is "sh*t sometimes just happens":)

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Yeah, usually, you're brief and to the point... in contrast to my extensive step-by-step full life cycle instruction manual :-0

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive had dogs and cats all my life, and all my life ive seen my family hit them (not hard, just a light tap on the muzzle or head) when they are bad. When i got old enough i was taught also to do the same, and i did, with great results. Now i read online that it does nothing but make the animal fear you or hands, but that was never the case for my dogs or cats. The light smacking taught my dogs and cats the same as the shock collar teaches the dog where the invisible fence is.

Ive always had this technique used for dogs that destroy things or bite people or animals, and cats that pee on the floor or scratch or bite. Its not used for barking, being rambunctious, or not following a simple command. Its not overused. They always only got smacked if caught the action, or while they were held down looking at what they did (like for peeing or destruction). Never after the action has passed. Within no time at all i had very well behaved animals that werent afraid of hands or me. We never did a repetitive hit either. One smack, thats all. Dog bites, one smack. Come home to see house destroyed, take a minute to calm self down so that we dont hit hard, take animal to a ruined item and make them look at it, one smack.

In the wild, alpha wolves will slash open a shoulder or grab the throat of a misbehaving pack member to teach them to stay in line. Lightly smacking a dog is not nearly as bad as that, but the owner is the alpha and animals in nature learn through pain, and that is why its always worked for me i guess.

So based on my experience i think it is okay and helpful to lightly smack misbehaved dogs or cats, and its not abuse if not overused. Online i see lots of different views as well, almost split 50/50 between a useful punishment and useless abuse. What do you all think about lightly smacking bad pets?
My grandfathers, father and uncles have been breeding dogs for decades and I was a part of that growing up. I've had nothing but well trained and loving dogs. My go to is a firm NO but sometimes a rolled up newspaper with a light tap will get the messge across better. Some breeds are stubborn and just dont want to listen sometimes. Dogs will never fear your hands as long as you keep it light and catch them in the act. People who consider a light tap to be animal abuse are weird to say the least - they clearly have no idea what animal abuse is. They also demonstrate little knowledge about canine behaviour and pack animals. As you've described, pack animals fight amongst eachother to establish dominance and keep other members in check. I dont buy into sensitive internet trends. People can have their opinion all they want, but an opinion remains an opinion and doesn't make it a fact.
Our planet was conquered by fierce man who carried swords but in todays world, if you scratch your ass cheek in a public someone will find it offensive and much like a light tap, its considered abuse.
Some people should seriously thicken up their skin. Ive seen animal abuse first hand in third world countries - a light tap isn't animal abuse!

·
Super Moderator
2,716 Posts
This is a nine year old thread and most of the participants haven't been active here in a long time. I'm closing it to further replies, but feel free to start your own thread or participate in any of our current discussions.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.