Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH and I made this feeder yesterday and this morning I asked him to feed the dogs so I could get a video of them using it. (I wish he was as good with the camera as he is with the dogs... LOL)

Dinner Bell Video

Enjoy!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Such well-mannered pups! They're looking gorgeous as always, FIC! Love the feeder, too!

Hows the weather in New Mexico? We may be visiting our friends out there at the end of the month :D

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today it's in the 80s and gorgeous. Getting a little warm. This time of year, we have a shower almost every afternoon to cool things off. But it depends where in the state you're going. We're at about 6000 feet, so the lower elevations can be 15-20 degrees warmer than here. Albq is expecting 90s all week, but it's still bearable.

·
Registered
976 Posts
We'll be in Albuquerque, so an afternoon shower may be a good thing, though I don't mind the heat. I'm still considering going to school out there and bringing Bailey out with me. I think she'd enjoy it but I worry about all the wildife (coyote, rattlesnake, bear, etc.) you guys ever have any issues with your dogs?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I've been here for 10 years and haven't seen a rattle snake yet. We do have a little snake living in our lavender bush, but my husband said it's not poisonous. :) I once had a bobcat walk into the front yard (I had put out canned catfood for a stray cat) but my yelling chased it away (as well as made 2 dogs pee on the floor). I've seen javelina on our property and one evening I saw the cat trying to play with something that turned out to be a taranchula in our kitchen! The coyotes won't get close to people if they can help it, but their eerie howling and "laughing" in the early morning is really kind of cool. I've never heard of or seen a bear here. But I'm not worried about critters. The dogs are fenced in and in the city, there's even less to worry about. :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well, I've been here for 10 years and haven't seen a rattle snake yet. We do have a little snake living in our lavender bush, but my husband said it's not poisonous. :) I once had a bobcat walk into the front yard (I had put out canned catfood for a stray cat) but my yelling chased it away (as well as made 2 dogs pee on the floor). I've seen javelina on our property and one evening I saw the cat trying to play with something that turned out to be a taranchula in our kitchen! The coyotes won't get close to people if they can help it, but their eerie howling and "laughing" in the early morning is really kind of cool. I've never heard of or seen a bear here. But I'm not worried about critters. The dogs are fenced in and in the city, there's even less to worry about. :)
We'd be in Sandia Heights, in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain Range. I've seen snakes(non that were venomous) lizards, and I had to shoo some tarantulas off the road :p They had some bear trouble a few years ago, one on their porch and one got hit by a car, and they had a bobcat with babies living in their backyard while they were remodeling. They have a small chickenwire fence(which would keep Bailey in) though I'd never leave her outside alone. I agree about the coyotes, they sound really neat.
Are there many dog parks or training clubs that you know of? I know I saw a ton of grooming salons last time in Albuquerque and a few nice-looking boarding kennels online.

Bravo to the owners. Pictures speak a thousand words. This video should be given to new dog owners re 'How feeding should be'.
I agree :D

I just love those long-coated shepherds, and the other two fit in perfectly! As much as I love German Shepherds I could never really see myself owning one, until I saw your Jai'a and B'asia (I'm sure I slaughtered their names)

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I'm sitting here at working giggling over the video. Poor Jai, he was just so hungry. And I'm assuming they all have their "station" to eat from. Was the video in "real time" because they all ate very quickly! :p

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bravo to the owners.
Thank you, sir. :)

Are there many dog parks or training clubs that you know of?
We used to live in Albq, but I didn't have dogs while there. We're about 5-6 hours south of there, now, and I really don't know how they are for dogs.

And I'm assuming they all have their "station" to eat from. Was the video in "real time" because they all ate very quickly! :p
Yes, they each have their station. I used to put all 4 bowls down at once, but with these new bigger bowls, we can only handle 2 at a time. That's why Jaia jumped the gun. He thought the food was down. The new pup will go on the other side of B'asia. The video was edited. I taped the whole thing, but then it was just a bunch of crunching and gobbling in the middle, so I took that out. :D

Thanks for all the great comments!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I'm tempted to go make one of those for Hallie :) The dogs look very well trained! Good job with training. This is a perfect example of how feeding time should be. I expected one of them to growl at another as they were eating so close. Long live well behaved dogs!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Great job pups! Such good manners. I still feed the boys on opposite ends of the room. They are not food aggressive at all but Carsten inhales his and Oliver daisy picks his way through each meal. He still needs kisses on his ears while he is eating to encourage him that his bowl won't hurt him. I love the feeder.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm tempted to go make one of those for Hallie :)
It wasn't hard and would be a breeze for one dog. I have pictures of the different steps if you are interested. :) If you or someone you know is handy, you could make it. We did this in part of one day. And that was taking it easy. :) PM me if you want the pictures.

The dogs look very well trained! Good job with training.
Thank you. They are very good dogs. :D

Carsten inhales his and Oliver daisy picks his way through each meal.
Yes, Jaia is an inhaler and B'asia used to eat really slowly. So Jaia would get impatient and start getting rude and sticking his nose over there. I had to start standing right there again like I did when they were little and remind him of the rules with a "eh-eh", but he got the message and B'asia's eating sped up. So now I can just put the bowls down and leave.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
That is so kool... it's exactly what James wanted to do here... lol but there is not enough room AND all my babies are different sizes! haha!

He's going to love to see this! What a great guy you have! Isn't it just great to have a guy that can do all this for us and our babies?! So great!
Nessa

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Isn't it just great to have a guy that can do all this for us and our babies?! So great!
I'm glad James will like it! I feel like I "know" James from when Callahan was sick. LOL He seems like a member, too. :) You could make a more complex design with various height bowls. Sounds like fun!

I do have a great guy! He has become a total dog person since being with me! LOL But... do know that I designed the feeder, made the cutting list and helped put it together. ;) AND trained the dogs! LOL

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I'm glad James will like it! I feel like I "know" James from when Callahan was sick. LOL He seems like a member, too. :) You could make a more complex design with various height bowls. Sounds like fun!

I do have a great guy! He has become a total dog person since being with me! LOL But... do know that I designed the feeder, made the cutting list and helped put it together. ;) AND trained the dogs! LOL
Oh gosh... that is wonderful... and I thought it was just the sweetest thing that your hubby was rooting for my baby to get better too. Yea both our guys should contribute to DF every now and then! hehe...

Oh and haha that is exactly how it went with the feeders that James made haha! I thought of the design... he perfected it and built it... and I too helped to put it together and paint them... HAHA and I too trained the dogs!!!

You Rock gal! lol
Nessa

1 - 15 of 15 Posts