Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Pretty dog. Though, as a Shiloh owner, I can't say I'm a big fan of kings. Still, beautiful dog and it looks like he's having fun.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Didn't know a breed called 'King shepherd' existed. I thought it was a nickname for a strain of GSD type dogs with extra large size, but I guess I was wrong. Could you tell me more about them?

·
Banned
428 Posts
Beautiful dog!!

There is no such thing as a PB King Shepherd though, because in fact they are a mixed breed. They are mixed with other large flock guardian dogs and German shepherds. I read somewhere they are a cross between Alaskan Malamute, German Shepherd and Great Pyrenese and they are not recognized by the AKC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Parents are from Europe however slightly bigger than standard GSD.. actually could be a Shiloh his size is quite big and very smart. I looked up King Shepherd and is indeed an american breed so maybe Im wrong calling it King instead hes probably Shiloh.. Any way to fully tell?

·
Banned
428 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Parents are from Europe however slightly bigger than standard GSD.. actually could be a Shiloh his size is quite big and very smart. I looked up King Shepherd and is indeed an american breed so maybe Im wrong calling it King instead hes probably Shiloh.. Any way to fully tell?
Well you said his parents are from Germany, what type of dogs were his parents that will give you the answer for what kind of dog he is.

·
Registered
608 Posts
King Shepards are not Shiloh shepherds. Shiloh shepherds have been recognized by the rba since 91 or 93 (about 90% sure 91). The King Shepards originated because a Shiloh breeder started breeding back to German Shepherds and therefore got kicked out of the group. She then continued to breed Shepherd mutts under this new name of "King Shepherd." That was quite a number of years ago, so at this point I'm pretty sure It's a long strain of big shepherds with a base in Shiloh (with the disgrace of the start of the breed in Shiloh breeder's eyes, I'd be surprised if more Shiloh has been introduced into the li.e. and if there has. I don't think it'd be one of much worth from the Shiloh breed standard.)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Just because it's an over-sized GSD doesn't make either Shiloh or King. I've had 2 GSD's that were 130+lbs and they were just BYB rescued GSD's. Nothing more. Nothing less. One was known to be AKC registered but still from a BYB and way out of standard for a GSD.

I thought the King shepherds were just another 'designer breed' - Newf/GSD mixes??? I dunno....I stay away from that designer breed stuff. To me 'Designer Breed' = Mutt. Not saying they can't be cute or intelligent dogs. They most certainly can be. But then I think most mutts are cute anyway. lol
However for one to deliberately breed mixes is, in my opinion, irresponsible. Then again you know what they say about opinions, huh? :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts