Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs were doing excellent on Victor Select Nutra Pro. I was really happy with the food, and price. Then they changed the formula and my old girl was no longer doing well and the other was shedding more than usual (even given the season changing). I'm also overall not happy with the changes they made and wish they had upped the price rather than change the formula and use lower quality ingredients, as I and I believe many others would have rather paid more than have to find a new food.

Anyways, anyone familiar with this food know of something comparable in ingredients/price range? I need something relatively high protein and fat (30/20 seems to be the minimum). They eat about 50-60% kibble, the rest meat, but I'd still like something with protein sourced mainly from animal ingredients. They do not do super well on TOTW, Sportsmix, or 4Health. They have been eating Dr. Tim's for the past 6-8 weeks since I realized Victor changed the formulas and I'm not really happy with how they're doing on that, either.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I posted about this recently too. It's interesting that you said your dog is shedding a lot more. Brae is shedding like I've never seen before (though his coat's in great shape) and I attributed it to the time of year. I can't say for certain that it's due to the formula change but it is a possibility.

In my research I narrowed it down to: go back to Orijen, Farmina, or Go!

I'm trying Go! right now and doing about 2 cups Go and 3-4 cups Victor. Brae prefers Go over Victor but it could be a novelty thing. Go is pretty pricey ($75 for a 25# bag). I'm not going to see how he does on it overall till about another month or so. But that's where I am right now.

I would have gone back to Orijen but Chewy no longer carries it and I'm at a point where I prefer ordering my food rather than making the trip to get it from a store. I would have tried Farmina (still open to it) but it shipping time was too unpredictable because they have frequently been out of stock. This was the case on Chewy and on their website when I was still at the decision making point. But I just checked and it's in stock on Chewy now.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I posted about this recently too. It's interesting that you said your dog is shedding a lot more. Brae is shedding like I've never seen before (though his coat's in great shape) and I attributed it to the time of year. I can't say for certain that it's due to the formula change but it is a possibility.

In my research I narrowed it down to: go back to Orijen, Farmina, or Go!

I'm trying Go! right now and doing about 2 cups Go and 3-4 cups Victor. Brae prefers Go over Victor but it could be a novelty thing. Go is pretty pricey ($75 for a 25# bag). I'm not going to see how he does on it overall till about another month or so. But that's where I am right now.

I would have gone back to Orijen but Chewy no longer carries it and I'm at a point where I prefer ordering my food rather than making the trip to get it from a store. I would have tried Farmina (still open to it) but it shipping time was too unpredictable because they have frequently been out of stock. This was the case on Chewy and on their website when I was still at the decision making point. But I just checked and it's in stock on Chewy now.
Ah, that's what I get for not checking recent threads. Sorry! Hm, yes, my dog who is shedding is a a mix of breeds that are all known for shedding heavily, but I usually can manage this by feeding a "higher quality" food, fresh food, and adding salmon oil to keep the fat content up. She has been eating Victor for abut 2 years with the fresh food and salmon oil, but as soon as they changed the recipe her shedding increased BIG TIME. I attributed it to the time of year until I realized they had changed the recipe and it made a lot more sense since her diet has been consistent, especially combined with my other dog's symptoms.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll just have to go back to some of the more expensive brands I used to feed, or back to full raw, whichever ends up more cost effective. I've been trying to find something similar in the same price range but haven't had any luck. The price break feeding Victor while it worked for them was nice while it lasted!I've fed Orijen in the past, and I've almost tried Farmina a few times but for whatever reason ended up not purchasing it. I'll have to look into Go! as well - thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Good luck! I'd be curious to hear how it goes for your crew. I haven't found anything comparable in that price range. It really is a bummer to be very satisfied with one food and have changes like these put you on the search again.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I've been off victor for several months now and am glad... My pup who had done so well growing up and out on the obnoxious crappy ingredients of Royal Canine giant puppy and Junior.. Completely fell apart on Victor grain free and grain.. I switched over to a feed store brand and it has taken several months for him to shed and chew out the old victor food and is doing well with a fresh new coat.. Will not go back to Victor... the only ingredient I am not sure what it is in the new food is ( Grain Sorghum) ... hey nothing looks as bad as Royal Canine,, lol.. amazing that 165lb growing puppy breed did so well on it. Hope you find what works for you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts