Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to site. Thanks for reading my question. My dog was attacked while we were out walking on a local bike trail. Unprovoked vicious attack by a big dog. Owner said his dog did not like other dogs but was friendly twards humans and was no threat to people. This happened on a public bike trail. Almost killed my dog. I say,,if a dog can almost kill an innocent pup walking on a trail, it is a threat to humans. what do you think? thanks,.

·
Registered
179 Posts
All the experience I've had leads me to the belief that dog aggression and human aggression are separate issues, so whether or not a dog is a 'threat' kind of depends on how you define it. Any dog is capable of harming others. A dog capable of killing another dog on a trail must be a reasonable sized, strong dog, which would make them more of a 'threat' than a small weak dog. However I wouldn't say that the aggression displayed to another dog is any indication of how that dog reacts to people (unless it's resource guarding).

Heck, Neeka is dog reactive but she's the friendliest dog I know towards people. On the other hand, I sometimes work with a dog you have to be careful around but give him another dog to play with and they're immediately best of friends.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Dog aggressive dogs are no more likely to be human aggressive than any other dog, although a lack of socialization can contribute to both. However, no dog should be running loose and certainly no dog aggressive dog should ever be off leash in public areas.

I am so sorry for your bad experience.

·
Registered
149 Posts
That is such a scary thing to encounter, and I can definitely understand why you would feel the dog should be considered a threat to all around. But like PP's have said, it usually two seperate issues.
Hope your dog is doing better!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I have a dog who can be very aggressive towards strange dogs, but would drop dead before she'd ever even think about hurting a human. If there's one thing she knows, it's the difference between an person and a dog. Dog aggression and human aggression are two very different things.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm wondering if someone (not necessarily the thread starter) might ask this question because they want to try to get AC to put a dog aggressive dog down in such a situation. Hope the dog in this situation is ok.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Wow, your pup was almost killed? How many stitches? Hope the owner at least covered the vet bills. Did you report the attack to animal control?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe I'm misinterpreting a lot of the responses here, but it seems like a lot people are basically implying that this dog was only "dog aggressive" and not "human aggressive," so it's okay.

To me, it seems like both are bad (although human aggressive is obviously worse). But, in both cases, it seems like the dog shouldn't be allowed in public places. It's not fair to other dog owners for you to have your dog around their dogs if you know your dog is "dog aggressive."

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
It's not fair to other dog owners for you to have your dog around their dogs if you know your dog is "dog aggressive."
Why shouldn't a DA dog be able to go out and enjoy walks on nice days with it's owners like every other dog in this world, especially when it's not a threat to people? It isn't a problem so long as everyone acts responsible and follows the leash laws like they are suppose to.

What happened to the OP's dog is not okay. However, responsibility when out with dogs in public goes for everyone, and we don't know the exact circumstances that took place. One of my GREATEST pet peeves when out walking my dogs are dogs that are off leash, running around. As stated above, one of my dogs does have some DA issues in regards to strange dogs approaching her. I have her aggression under control to where we can walk by other dogs in a close proximity and she'll be just fine, but if a loose dog run up to her and get's in her face, I can't control what happens. And the thing is, if she ends up hurting another dog in a situation like that, that's the fault of the OTHER owner for having his dog off leash.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I'm so sorry about your dog and hope s/he's okay! As stated above, both dog and human aggression are two different things. Tell me if I'm reading your statement wrong, but it sounds like the other guy's dog was not on a leash? If so, the dog should be for that very reason of running into other dogs. Or if the dog was leashed, that person should have their dog very close to them so the dog won't be able to attack another or put a muzzle on the dog for the dog walks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why shouldn't a DA dog be able to go out and enjoy walks on nice days with it's owners like every other dog in this world, especially when it's not a threat to people? It isn't a problem so long as everyone follows the leash laws like they are suppose to.

I guess it's one thing if the owner is proactive about controlling the dog (dog ALWAYS on a leash, make sure to give other dogs a lot of room to pass by, warns other owners against trying to "introduce" the dogs, etc.)

But if you an owner knows their dog is aggressive, then it should be there responsibility to be extra sure they're not putting other dogs at risk.

The problems seems to be (and again, I may not be interpreting this correctly), that some owners of DA dogs have the mentality of "well, he's not HA. If he attacks your dog, then that a risk you should have been aware when you took your dog to a public place."

·
Banned
199 Posts
You didn't mention the leash status of either the other dog or your own dog. If his dog was off leash then he is negligent. If his dog was on leash and your dog was not leashed and approached them, he hasn't done anything wrong. As to your other point, dog aggression and human aggression are totally different, as many others have already stated. I'm sorry this happened to your dog.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
The problems seems to be (and again, I may not be interpreting this correctly), that some owners of DA dogs have the mentality of "well, he's not HA. If he attacks your dog, then that a risk you should have been aware when you took your dog to a public place."
More often then not, the problem is the other way around, with owners who have the mentality of "It's okay, my dog likes everyone, so he doesn't need a leash". Infact, in the past almost all the situations that occurred with my dog were a direct result of this. Idiots not leashing their dogs in public.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Need more info, with the controlled DA dog it appears most are fine with, but an uncontrolled DA dog indeed can cause some severe damage when a human is attempting to break up the fight. I'm just sayin'... Strange things can happen during dog fights is a pretty basic rule on bad possibilities.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
DA dog or not, it's almost always the "fault" of whichever owner didn't have their dog on a leash.

If a DA dog is running loose and attacks another dog, the owner of the loose DA dog is at fault. If the DA dog is leashed and a loose "friendly" dog runs up and gets in its face, it's the owner of the loose "friendly" dog's fault. Leash laws exist for a reason.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Why shouldn't a DA dog be able to go out and enjoy walks on nice days with it's owners like every other dog in this world, especially when it's not a threat to people? It isn't a problem so long as everyone acts responsible and follows the leash laws like they are suppose to.

What happened to the OP's dog is not okay. However, responsibility when out with dogs in public goes for everyone, and we don't know the exact circumstances that took place. One of my GREATEST pet peeves when out walking my dogs are dogs that are off leash, running around. As stated above, one of my dogs does have some DA issues in regards to strange dogs approaching her. I have her aggression under control to where we can walk by other dogs in a close proximity and she'll be just fine, but if a loose dog run up to her and get's in her face, I can't control what happens. And the thing is, if she ends up hurting another dog in a situation like that, that's the fault of the OTHER owner for having his dog off leash.
Exactly. I walked my highly DA dog on a leash. Keep your dog on a leash, too, and there's no problems.

To answer the OP, my 90 lb German Shepherd mix was highly dog aggressive, and no danger at all to humans. He was wonderful with children and never even growled at a human. My ring fell into his food bowl while he was eating once, and without thinking I shoved my hand in to get it before he ate it. I ended up with my hand in his mouth as he was chomping down, and he immediately stopped and stepped back away from the bowl. (Not that I would have blamed him had he accidentally chomped my hand. That was a stupid thing to do.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts