Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A person in my neighborhood has a 100 pound fighting breed dog that has attempted to attack multiple people - even dragging his owner off of his feet and down the street on his butt to try to attack to teenage guys on roller blades - and has successfully attacked and injured 3 dogs that I have personally witnessed.

What's ended each attack is when he runs away from his owner. It's not bitten a human yet, so it's still alive. I do NOT intend to be the person it bites. I'm an athlete that trains by running, and this dog has threatened humans on walks by themselves through the fence and it frequently breaks loose.

I have mace, however, this is an incredibly windy state and there's a high probability of my macing my own dog and myself if I deploy it. There's also the issue of the dog just being aggravated by the mace. If I incapacitate myself in front of that dog, I'll get to watch my dog get killed, or worse, if I'm the one out exercising - it'll attack me. (If I don't take her for walks, she loses her back legs due to joint issues.)

I have to pass nearby this dog's house if I want to leave mine due to being behind the yard on a dead end.

My vet recommended cattle prods over my plan to carry a large mag lite, but I don't know if those have the stopping power I need.

What should I get to incapacitate a vicious dog with minimum risk to myself and my dog?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Phone animal control, the police or the city/county depending on who will come deal with it. Then have your phone set to record the next time the dog does something, even dragging the owner to get at something, and report that. If that doesn't work send it to the news.

Tell them you pay taxes and have a right to your own personal safety...

If I had to carry something it'd be a cattle prod or a riding crop/whip since it's not going to get blown off and is usually effective. Most dogs will back off if you use something like that on their muzzle/face. I had to do that with a mastiff mix that was trying to attack me/my dog while her 'owner' was down the hill chatting and ignoring his six big dogs. I had an electric fence post (like a riding crop I suppose) and a good firm tap on the muzzle changed her attitude quickly...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
A cattle prod will work. It's strong enough to move a bull. I'm not a fan of mace, as aim can be missed, spraying your dog and you as well. When its out, its out.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Never take the law into your own hands..
Make A phone call to the local police and get a lawyer..
I would rather be torn to shreads by a polar bear on iceberg in alaska.. then to deal with the legal system ...
Its your best defense..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Animal control has been out multiple times and this dog has been in court and its owners made to pay punitive damages to a dog that was attacked. This has not stopped its owner from telling passing teenager boys it's friendly and that they can pet it if they want, then when it tries to attack them - being pulled like a sled. Animal control cannot do anything proactive unless the dog bites a human and breaks skin.

A cell phone will not work. I will not sacrifice my service dog to an out of control animal to prove a point just like you wouldn't push your child/sibling out in front of a drunk driver to convict the drunk driver.

Will a cattle prod knock the dog off of its feet?

Edit: I don't like the idea of a bludgeon.

The police have been called multiple times. They cannot do anything but fine him for various offenses until the dog breaks human skin.

Edit 2: However, if the dog is harmed in the course of attempting to damage someone else's property, my understanding after reading my municipal code is that he is at fault.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I agree with the not like using it on the dog but maybe a couple knots on owner's head may wake him up. All kidding aside everybody should protect themselves and their dogs as they see fit.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
Drive somewhere else.

Seriously, if the dog is that bad and you are that worried, then unfortunately you sometimes have to just suck it up and "let" the other person "win" by getting in a car and going to a park, another neighborhood etc.

I would expect that a cattle prod would work, given what they are used for, but personally wouldn't want to have to both deal with it and take any chances. I do not advice pepper spray or mace, for exactly the reasons you are worried about it (blow back, hitting you or your dog, not working quickly enough)

While fostering a reactive dog, I drove to a park every day for 5 months to avoid various small loose dogs and large aggressive dogs with the potential to get loose. Annoying but everyone was safe. Maybe within a few months, something will happen with that neighbor and you can have some peace.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Animal control has been out multiple times and this dog has been in court and its owners made to pay punitive damages to a dog that was attacked. This has not stopped its owner from telling passing teenager boys it's friendly and that they can pet it if they want, then when it tries to attack them - being pulled like a sled. Animal control cannot do anything proactive unless the dog bites a human and breaks skin.

A cell phone will not work. I will not sacrifice my service dog to an out of control animal to prove a point just like you wouldn't push your child/sibling out in front of a drunk driver to convict the drunk driver.

Will a cattle prod knock the dog off of its feet?

The police have been called multiple times. They cannot do anything but fine him for various offenses until the dog breaks human skin.

Edit 2: However, if the dog is harmed in the course of attempting to damage someone else's property, my understanding after reading my municipal code is that he is at fault.
You really need to stop concentrating on the dog so much...
The problem is actually the owner. ..
Keep in mind that using physical force against the dog or its owner is probably going to land you in jail.
Right now , you and your dog are the victims..and the dogs owner is neglegent.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The dogs owner is at fault, however that isn't going to protect you or your dog. The cattle prod will not cause any lasting damage, and electricity is extremely effective. Usually, one time will teach a good lesson, and if you yell no, or get, or whatever, that will probably be all needed next time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not yet able to drive very far due to severe anxiety over driving, so my only option is to drive elsewhere in the neighborhood, which is an option but in reality it's significantly pushing it for me.

·
Banned
964 Posts
I am not yet able to drive very far due to severe anxiety over driving,
Have you tried driving another type of automobile?
Some are available with automatic transmissions , and not having to shift and use a clutch can make driving a less stressfull experience!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Roloni

I am not going to do anything proactive here. Nothing happens unless the dog is off leash, out of control, and advancing after treats are thrown at it and I have done an alpha roar (for lack of a better term). Any dog that continues advancing in a direct line with a hard face after having high value treats thrown at it has no good intentions. After that it will have to move within my reach.

It's a special kind of hell for me to even be thinking about having to use force to defend myself against an animal. I am a pacifist. Since I was about 4, when I saw moths trapped in the house I used a cup to catch them, and I let them out outside. I still do that today. This topic turns my stomach.

@Avoidance
The alternative routes only work if the dog isn't out in the front yard. I can go a way where he won't be tempted to escape, but if he's already loose he will be able to see me.

@Driving
I'm forcing myself to work through the anxiety using repeated positive exposures. I kid you not. It works for anxious dogs and anxious humans. :)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
As someone who has no choice but to walk her reactive dogs past several very aggressive dogs twice a day, every day, and having no other option, let me tell you that I empathize with you.
I disagree that protecting you and your dog is the wrong thing to do. The notion that should not be entitled to protect yourself and your "property" is ridiculous.
I agree with the cattle prod, if you're up to it.
Would something like- oh what are they called. People use them at ball games to make those really loud, annoying honking sounds. Someone help me out here. Gas horn? Can't help but wonder if that would frighten the dog.

It really is a shame that people aren't more involved and concerned with their dogs' behavior.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wolvenmoon, just wanted to say I totally understand your driving anxiety. After about 3 years working on it off and on, I have just started to feel somewhat composed behind the wheel again. With my spouse in the car, but still, it's a start. :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
You would not need to drive very far to get past this dangerous situation, then park on the side and do your walk.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Have had good luck with a hot shot (cattle prod) 50,000 volts will send even the most determined dogs packing. I used to have one & I never had a dog who could take more then two shots from it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts