Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Vet told us her guess, shelter told us their guess... what is your guess?

5K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Effisia 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! So I adopted a puppy from a local shelter here a week ago. The shelter told us that they guessed he was a Black Lab/BC/Akita mutt mix and that he'd be about 70-80 pounds fully grown.

I took him for his first vet visit etc. and I got a totally different guess from the vet. She laughed when I said they said he'd be 70-80 pounds. She said she thought he was a Black Lab/Newfoundland mix and that his adult weight should be 100+

He's 16 weeks and 25 pounds...

What do YOU think? I'll post his photos.

As you can see, he has a ridge of thick hair down his back.. and he has a gay tail that curls over his back when he lifts it. His hair is very soft, but his adult coat hasn't grown in yet. He also has double dews (real toes, bones included) on both rear back feet and "frog sits" 100% of the time. He's very, VERY active (huge chewer, always running and jumping on things) and he has a VERY loud bark if that means anything.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks EXACTLY like a known Lab/Newfie mix that comes to my work! The one I know, Bear, is a gem of a dog. Huge, beautiful, with a coat that's thick and soft but not long like a Newfie. Awesome temperament, more energetic/agile than the average Newfie but gentler and lower key than a Lab. Great dog. I will see if I don't have some pics somewhere for you.

#6 ·
Really? OMG! I've LOVE to see a pic to compare! I named this fella Nigredo and he has TONS of energy. I had a Lab mix before... and he was nothing like Nigredo. Temperament way different and everything. He was near 70 pounds, but his feet weren't huge like Nigredo's. If I may ask, how much does the Newfie/Lab mix you know of weigh?

#5 ·
I'm thinking lab*obviously*/pyrenees because of the double dew claws. The tail looks a lundehund but they aren't a big dog, so I'm thinking the pyrenees breed :)

#8 ·
Yes, she said it might be Great Pyrenees or Bernese Mountain dog.. but she really thought it was Newfoundland. I just want to be able to predict what he might look like and whatnot. I'm going to get him different food and stuff... 70 pounds is WAY different from 100+ pounds...

#11 ·
I'd guess...ADORABLE!! ;)

I'm seeing Newfie in the size of the paws and the tail. Beyond that, maybe lab? The shape of the head seems less square than a Newfie and there isn't the jowls. If you're really lucky, you'll get the temperment and cuddliness of a Newfoundland with a bit more energy and without the drool! :D

#12 ·
I was thinking lab/pyr mix. His tail and double dew claws are what make me think pyr.

#13 ·
Dittoing the double dewclaws making me think pyr, but-

25lbs at 4months/16 weeks? Not going to be a huge/giant dog. I'll be surprised if he breaks (or even hits....) 65, never mind 100.

#14 ·
He looks EXACTLY like my friend's labXboarder collie so I can see why they say that. Only problem is he was like 50 lbs full grown!

I think pyr might be a better guess (and that greatly depends on area. I live near farm land so that's why I think it would be a better guess. If you don't, it might be a poorer guess).

My Lincoln was a very similar weight at that age...I wanna say he was 35 though at 14/15 weeks. He will be 130ish when he is full grown at 2/3 since Shiloh's are very slow to mature. I don't know the growth rate of either of those breeds. Linc should be around 90 by the end of the first year, so I'd say by his weight that you're looking between 85-110) full grown depending on how fast he grows and when he stops (and when you get him fixed).

#16 · (Edited)
The real issue is breeds grow at different rate, and stop/slow at different points. Though 25lbs at 14 weeks is TINY for a 4 month old of a giant breed. Like really, really, seriously about 50% of the size you'd expect a pyr pup to be at 4 months (40-60lbs is about right for that age/breed, depending). I am about 85% sure Thud is a PyrX and he was 35lbs at just shy of 4 months, and is nearly 50 at 5 months, and that's about on par with my (small) male pyr who topped out at 90lbs, give or take 5 depending on season. I don't know, I could be wrong, but that puppy just doesn't strike me, personally, as a giant. I'm sure my personal experiences are influencing me, here.

Also 10lbs at those weighs isn't so similar. It's more than 1/3 again as much. You remove 1/3 of the weight off the finished weight and you knock that 100lbs back down to....65ish. Or 130 down to 85ish.

#17 ·
Hi, people. Thanks for all the awesome and interesting comments. The shelter could very well have been correct. His temperament matches the Newfie a lot... and though he's not a huge puppy.. his feet are rather large but that can be deceptive. Also, he was already neutered when I adopted him. They said it may reduce his muscle tone, but otherwise not affect him.

#18 ·
Yeah, what's the usual formula? Is it 3 times the weight at 4 months, or twice that weight? Either way, he probably won't be huge.

#20 · (Edited)
Two times the weight at 4 months for medium dogs, 2.5 for large, and if I remember correctly about 1.5 times for small. I think. I seriously expect that pup to be about 60lbs, but goodness knows there are surprises and none of this is scientific.

Neutering will maybe make him taller and lankier.

#21 ·
Thanks everyone. It looks like the shelter was closer to correct judging by what everyone is saying and looking online. His feet are big so he might be tall.. but as he's not that heavy.. his weight should only be about 70 pounds fully grown.. or a bit less.

#23 · (Edited)
I see lab/GSD maybe.

I don't sew Newf at all - his face is really narrow and his ears look like they want to stand. Don't really see border collie either (shelters seem to list BC every time a dog is black with any white).

I'm not good at guessing weights on bigger dogs. My pup was somewhere around 15lbs at that age and will be 45lbs full grown, so my guess is 70-90lbs for your boy.

#24 ·
I cant see this fella bigger then 60lbs full grown. but bear in mind that weight isnt everything with size, build plays a big role. using weight for size is a pet peeve of mine. for example I have 2 border collies, both weigh in at 29lbs. they are nowhere close to the same size. average weight for a heeler is 35-45 lbs but height only 17-19". my my Heeler x GSDs fit the weight range for heelers but both are a LOT bigger then heelers, one is GSD size, the other in the middle.

#25 ·
This is actually REALLY true, and a really good point. Jack is 18" tall and only weighs 25lbs. Thud is only 2-3" taller than Jack but weighs about twice as much. Bug and Kylie are about the same height, and Bug weighs almost twice what Kylie does.

#29 ·
Hello, everyone. I thought I'd update this thread. This puppy is now almost 19 months. Here are his photos :)

He is about 25" ATS, and about 32" from neck to base of tail. He is currently 85 lbs, but admittedly... his ideal weight is about 83 lbs. He is not totally done growing, but he's almost totally done growing. Still have no real idea what he is mixed with... but likely Lab or Flat Coated retriever with some Anatolian or Great Pyrenees mixed in somewhere. Probably no BC at all. He's not overly tall, about Lab height, even though he's an early neuter... certainly not lanky, solidly built dog, very heavy of bone.

#31 ·
Yes, rarity came into play as well. Someone suggested the Beauce Shepherd (Beuceron) might be in there, but it was ruled out because they are extremely rare in the USA and there is no way any of that would be in there. He's just your run of the mill retriever cross which you can see the retriever and something else... but have NO idea what it is. :)

#32 ·
I can't say I see too much Newf in there, though a lot of backyard breeders are breeding for a longer muzzle and claiming their dogs are "dry mouth" (eye roll). So if a dog with a snipey muzzle got with a lab, you might end up seeing something like your pup. Very handsome dog. Those eyes are stunning!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.