Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daisy had her double dew claws removed last Friday late afternoon. She went in Monday for her bandages to be 'removed'. First foot, doc pulled off the self adhesive dressing and it had stuck to the pad in a spot about the size of 1/2 a pencil eraser. He rebandaged and we change it daily. The other foot has self adhesive dressing super glued to the actual surgical site (it appears) on a spot about 1/4th to 1/2 inch long. There are stitches under this dressing.

I am changing the outer dressing and really filling that glued on dressing with Neosporin daily plus have cut away any loose self adhesive dressing.

I'm not sure what else to do! Someone at his office suggested soaking the foot in warm Epsom Salt water daily. I had to personally do this when I had part of a toenail removed and ended up with VERY dry skin and cracked heel skin.

What should I do? Will this fall off as skin sheds or should I attempt to soak the foot of this VERY lively 14 week old puppy?

There is no drainage from either site except a dot from the raw spot on the first paw where he ripped off the gauze. No odor. No favoring the feet. Does complain a little when I change the bandage on the foot with the 'stuck dressing'.

Daisy will see the vet or his tech again on Friday of this week. My vet seemed very embarrassed about the glue problem.

Again, what should I be doing or what should I expect?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
The glued on part I would leave alone it will eventually shed off when the skin sheds off, as long as she is not worrying at it leave it alone....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BernerMax, I'm keeping it covered or she would bite at it. Boy you can SEE the glob of glue!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I superglue my cracked fingertips (mail carrier's trick), and it does wear off, don't worry. It's just unsightly.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last night there was blood on the wrapping around the foot with the super glue/ gauze. This morning that was a pretty large area of dried blood on the fresh gauze. I took her in. Young Dr. Vet had the tech soak it for about 30 minutes in Epson Salts and then he ripped it off. It's raw, bloody and there is a 'pit'. They said not to continue wrapping either foot and to soak the open wound foot 1 to 2 times a day in Epson Salts. She's able to reach and lick and he said he isn't concerned. He said she'll lose interest and stop licking it pretty soon. I don't see where leaving the cone on is doing any good if she's able to lick it, but will for a few days I guess.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Minor infection. Vet gave me a larger cone (for free), new antibiotic (for free), treated the surgical sites with laser (for free) and said to soak in epsom salts twice a day and put antibiotic ointment on the bad foot. it has a 'divot' about an inch long where he removed the dew claw. The new med must be nasty because even mixed in soft food, she was not happy to eat it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts