Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important to you is the school your vet attended? Most of the vets in my area graduated from the local university, so it's sometimes odd to see someone with a degree from elsewhere. Just curious. :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Honestly, not much, because I don't know much about vet schools. I would be a little concerned if I didn't see a diploma at all . . .

·
Registered
878 Posts
Not at all - what matters to me is how the vet treats my dog and me. Hamish has moved around a bit and seen a number of vets - if he wasn't comfortable with a vet it wouldn't matter where they went to school or how many qualifications they had, we'd find an alternative.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly, not much, because I don't know much about vet schools. I would be a little concerned if I didn't see a diploma at all . . .
Yes, that would be concerning. :)

Not at all - what matters to me is how the vet treats my dog and me. Hamish has moved around a bit and seen a number of vets - if he wasn't comfortable with a vet it wouldn't matter where they went to school or how many qualifications they had, we'd find an alternative.
The only vet (or person, really) my dog hasn't been comfortable with was the one my husband and I immediately disliked / distrusted. Guess she's either a good judge of character or is excellent at reading us.

As I said, most vets in my area graduated from the local university. However, the vets at the new practice we've been using have degrees from a myriad of institutions (including non-US schools). I didn't think much of it, but someone else brought it up as a point of consideration when we were evaluating new vets. We've been very happy with the two vets at the practice we've seen and have heard excellent things about a third.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts