Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Banjo has been having diarrhea on and off for a few weeks now, and on occassion, refusing to eat the kibble (TOTW). The other night she threw up 8 times and had diarrhea twice in the house, and at our house, she NEVER has accidents, unless she is over excited.
So we called the vet, and we have a very good vet that we respect and my boyfriend has worked with her for years with various pets. But the vet recommended we feed Banjo a boiled chicken and rice diet for a week and see if that helps, as well as send in a stool sample.
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard many people say that dogs can't digest rice, and meat should be raw, and they need more than just meat, but also the organs and bones.
Should I do what the vet says? Or does anyone else have a suggestion on how we can clear this up?
We've been wanting to go to a raw diet, but we can't afford store bought meat for ourselves, much less our dogs. We were looking into scraps from butcher shops and such, that would be cheaper. This might be an opportunity to segway in to the raw diet, but I also want her to get the nutrients she needs, and I've heard a lot of people say not to trust vet's ideas of dog food...
HELP!! I'm so confused, and I'm still really new to the whole dog/carnivore thing. I'm used to horses-grass, occasional concentrated grain for the skinny ones, and some carrots and apples and they're all set!! lol.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard many people say that dogs can't digest rice, and meat should be raw, and they need more than just meat, but also the organs and bones.
Dogs absolutely can digest cooked rice. What you've been told is that there is no canine requirement for carbohydrate and neither AAFCO or NRC state one. This does not mean the dog cannot digest and metabolize digestible carbohydrates, or benefit from the intraluminal effects of indigestible fiber. Also, there is no evidence to suggest that raw meat adds any benefit over cooked meat...as long as the meat is cooked properly and not over extreme temperatures to remove the nutrients. Otherwise, if the nutrients are available, cooked or raw, thats all that matters to the dog.

However, your vet is only suggesting this for a week, and a week on a marginally nutrient-deficient diet is not going to effect your dog in any significant way...except maybe to relieve the war being wagged in his tummy. If you were to homecook for your dog long term, however, you'd want to do more to balance such a diet.

Should I do what the vet says? Or does anyone else have a suggestion on how we can clear this up?
Assuming your vet has the best relationship with you and your dog, your vet's advise is better than any that can be offered here.

I'm so confused, and I'm still really new to the whole dog/carnivore thing.
Dogs are sometimes omnivorous, so don't worry about the trivial omnivore/carnivore argument. It's meant for rhetoric only.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If rice wasn't digestible bydogs, then we'd have a bunch of dogs bloated full of rice.

All joking aside, be thankful that your vet didn't prescribe Hill's i/d. Usually, I will fast my dog for 24 hours if she has diarrhea. Then I will give her boiled rice for afew meals, then add some boiled chicken. Eventually, you can slowly return to your dog's normal food. Your vet gave you good advice.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I agree with the other posts, rice and chicken are fine. It will help to settle your baby's tummy. I think your vet gave you good advice, and I think you will see much improvement in your dogs tummy.

On another note, I hope your baby's tummy gets to feeling better.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm feeding rice and chicken right now (until my newly ordered dog food arrives on Friday.) However, I do not cook the chicken. This particular dog, not all dogs, but this dog, can't tolerate meat when I cook it. She can handle raw Beef, Turkey, Chicken...but the minute I cook it for her she gets diarrhea!

She has been getting about a cup of cooked rice, either brown or white, a half of a raw chicken breast and a small can of Innova's newest called "Flex". I was having issues with her eating large amounts of grass, vomiting bile and grass and coughing and wretching. I am not sure what caused it to begin with, but I took off the kibble I was feeding and took her to the Vet.

Since she's been eating the Chicken, Rice and canned dog food she's been feeling really good! No excessive grass consumption, no coughing, wretching or vomiting!

I'm hoping that the new dog food will sit well with her, if not than I guess I will be looking further into balanced home cooking. ;)

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
when iorek gets a tummy ache i feed him boiled potatoes and ground beef. i put it all in a pot and boil it and then drain the water and mash it all together. he really loves it and it really helps his tummy. i know that boiled chicken is more digestible, but this seems to work well for use for a few days.

·
Registered
482 Posts
How old is your dog? How long have you been feeding the TOTW?

My puppy was having diarrhea issues on her kibble (TOTW) and I put her on a bland diet (cooked rice & meat) for a week. It's a common thing to do in order to settle the stomach. When I tried to wean her back on the TOTW, the diarrhea started again. TOTW is a great food... just not right for my pup. (I'm still struggling to find one that works... and seriously considering switching to raw).

Since money is an issue, you might consider hamburger as an alternative to chicken. I used cooked hamburger and rice with Luna and it worked well. (not sure about the cost in your area, but in my area hamburger is much cheaper than chicken). I added crushed up eggshells for calcium, and occasionally mixed carrots in as well. I also gave a probiotic supplement. Yogurt with active cultures is also good. Canned pumpkin (100% pumpkin, not the ready made pie filling) is AMAZING for clearing up diarrhea.

Did your vet check a stool sample for parasites/other illnesses?

ETA: if you go with boiled chicken, make sure there are NO BONES. Dogs do fine on raw chicken bones, but cooked chicken bones are a no no.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
We've been wanting to go to a raw diet, but we can't afford store bought meat for ourselves, much less our dogs. We were looking into scraps from butcher shops and such, that would be cheaper. This might be an opportunity to segway in to the raw diet, but I also want her to get the nutrients she needs, and I've heard a lot of people say not to trust vet's ideas of dog food...
A bland diet of chicken and rice is pretty standard fare when a dog has diarrhea. Boiled, or poached ground sirloin and white rice is another alternative.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey. For now, we have a few large bags of boneless chicken breasts that we've been slowly collecting everytime we go shopping. They were supposed to be for us for stir fries, but since we've got them and all and Banjo needs them, that what we're feeding. They're relatively cheap as far as most meat goes, and hamburg/beef stuff is usually way more expensive around here.

Thanks for all your reassurance about the rice. I just kept reading how grains were not digestable for dogs, and was confused as to how feeding something indigestable would help a dog with an upset stomach, but it seems okay. She LOVES it. We're feeding a cup of rice and a chicken breast mushed up together over the course of two meals each day.

I'm going to be bringing a sample into the vet, but oddly she is now not pooping. There have been a couple times when she was outside without me when she might have gone in the past 2 days, but so far the only time she went in front of us, was when it was too dark out to collect it. So I'm a little worried about this, now. She doesn't seem uncomfortable, though. Maybe she just went the times she was out alone, and didn't have to go later...Hopefully tonight or tomorrow morning we can get a sample and bring it in to the vet tomorrow.

The vet said we should keep her on this for a week. After the week, what would you suggest we do? Go back to the TOTW? I don't think we're going to find a good cheap source for raw before then...Is there any light kind of kibble that would be unlikely to upset her stomach that we could buy just a little bit of?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
After the week on the rice and chicken you want to slowly add her kibble back in. Add small amounts of kibble and decrease the proportionate amount of rice and chicken slowly over another week or so, so that at the end of the week she is back on full kibble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts