Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet wants me to come back for a series of shots for my puppy and its looking very expensive. We have the money but are thinking about taking him to a clinic for his shots which would be way cheaper. what should I do. Saty with the vet or take him to the clinic for his shots?

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
If your dog has a reaction to the vaccinations from a clinic do you think someone will take your call after hours? I think not. I'd stick with the vet. All of your records will be in the same place, everyone knows exactly what vaccination, lot number, etc was given...

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I second Briteday's post.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
If you do the shots yourself or go to a clinic, make sure the vaccines are given during regular vet clinic hours (not nights or weekends). And know where the nearest walk-in vet hospital is located. That way, if there is a reaction, you can have it taken care of without paying emergency clinic prices.

After seeing that thread about vet prices, if I lived somewhere that expensive, I'd definitely do the vaccines myself. Yikes. My vet only charges $12.50 for vaccines, and doesn't give them every year. So I'm willing to let him do the shots.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
That is sound advice. Would make it easy for a lot of people if a reaction does happen. I've not had a reaction yet and hope never too. Knock on wood. Usually once a dog has had a reaction before it calls for caution. They could have one again and maybe worse the next time.

If there was a reaction I would take the appropriate course of action. Give epinephrine, keep an eye on them, make sure they are able to breath and recover. I know other dogs who've just had slight reactions, which don't even require epi, just a little medication to relieve itching and hives. I wouldn't go to the vet unless it were necessary.

If it were a severe reaction I could care less about e vet bills at that point if it were needed. It wouldn't be any different then if I had taken to the vet and they got a reaction, sometimes reactions occur hours later. As your vet could be closed by the time your dog has a reaction even if they are the one who gave the vaccine. I'm almost always home anyway but when my dogs are given vaccs (by myself or vet) I'm around so I know they're ok.

Maybe best to get shots/give shots in the am if you can, even if its done at your vet. I never really thought about it, vets closing and all, e-vet/after hours bill.

ETA I know these things can be serious. Currently I know who dog who had a very bad reaction. He has permanent neurological damage. He's very uncoordinated. He is a cute big ol' goof who still has a good quality of life but you can certainly pick him out as different in his walking, movements and reactions to things.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can do either, but even if you go to a clinic they will usually recommend that you have a vet who knows your dog, that way in case of a reaction or other emergency you have a vet that you can see that you trust. My clinic has several clients that get their vaccines at a low cost clinic, but they come to us for the exam just to make sure that everything is ok and to keep the vet- client relationship.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts