Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey DogForums! :)

First and foremost, I'm sorry in advance that this is my first post on these forums and that it may seem like I'm leeching by asking for advice before even making myself a part of your community, and before even contributing much, but I desparately need someone's help, perhaps with some experience in the area.

We've got a few wonderful dogs, all getting up there in age, but our oldest is our black lab, Sophie. Recently she's had all sorts of problems walking and going up/down stairs, due to arthritis and soreness in her hips and joints. Today, having come home from a vacation in Mexico, however, we found her in a much worse state.

We saw that she was lying with her head in an awkward position, sort of sideways, and we noticed that our dog-sitter had had to take her to the vet yesterday. As it turns out, she's exhibiting horizontal nystagmus (eyes continuously darting side-to-side) and has vestibular disease (feels like the world is spinning around her - can't get up). The vet gave us some pills for her, so I mostly need advice on taking care of her until this passes (if it passes).

It was tough enough helping her to lift her own weight and walk up/down the stairs outside before with the arthritis, but now even that seems like a cakewalk. She has no power to stand on her own without falling over, and we currently have a few Pee Pee Pads under her body. That takes care of part of the problem, somewhat, but what happens when she does #2? She's a heavy dog, so it's not easy to move her around without some help on her part, and carrying her outside several times a day is no small task.

So besides putting her down, does anyone have any advice on possibly how to care for her? Has anyone had this experience before?

Sorry for how long this post was, but I desparately need some help. Thank you in advance :')

Tl;dr: Big black lab has vestibular disease and can't stand. How do we get her to use the potty in that state?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
My brother's dog got it. Vet gave steroids for inflammation of inner ear, anti nausea meds, something for dizziness. Dog recovered fully in about 4 days. The big part was making sure dog ate/drank. I'd make sure the vet gave you stuff for dizziness/nausea. Feed the dog boiled chicken and rice in small meals several times a day. You can let him drink the cooled broth you boiled it in. You need to keep the dog hydrated, and the nausea may make them not want to eat, so the chicken and rice is easy on the stomach, and appetizing.

You can use a towel as a sling in front of the back legs to help her walk.

Give her a few days to see how she responds to the meds. It's the dizziness that causes the issues. My brothers dog recovered completely and lived for about 4 more yrs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the reply, and it definitely helped that you put it in perspective a bit! I do hope it moves past relatively soon for our dog... it's been a week though, and so far the main improvement is that her eyes aren't jumping around so much at all, so that's good, but her balance is still off quite a bit. That doesn't seem to be getting much better, but we'll call the vet soon and see what the next step is, since they told us to call after a week. Oh well, keep us in your prayers!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Make sure they gave you steroids, or do give you them if they haven't. Ask about getting a steroid shot to help with inflammation of the inner ear. That causes a lot of the symptoms and steroids will usually help. Also a drug for the dizziness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts