Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 14 year old Golden Retriever mix had an Idiopathic Vestibular disease " episode" on Monday, Feb 2. The vet diagnosed Old Dog vestibular disease and ruled out ear infections etc, as well as Central Vestibular Disease, through examination. Our dog, Amber, is taking Cerenia for nausea, and a med for arthritis. This only Day 4, and her personality seems to be returning, she is eating and drinking more, is not thrashing from side to side, and the erratic eye movement has ceased. I take this to be all good signs of small steps of progress. However, she refuses to stand,~ even with our assistance..ergo...we deal with potty issues where she lays. We are vigilant and clean her up and her bedding immediately. I guess my question is whether we are expecting too much too soon. I've read on other vet sites that sometimes it takes weeks before dogs will stand and walk....whether with or without assistance. Can anyone share how long it took before their beloved dogs were able to stand and walk post Vestibular episode?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have an 11 year old shepherd mix that has had several bouts of this brought on by rimadyl. He usually regained function in a couple days. I don't think they always regain their senses for a week or two. Sometimes they don't lose the head tilt. I feel for you. Watching a dog in the middle of an episode is scary and painful. Is your dog on rimadyl by chance? I switched my dog to tramadol and he hasn't suffered another one since.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts