Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just need to rant about something I witnessed yesterday when driving through my neighborhood.

Now, in the neighborhood I live in (it's not the best) there is an extremely high population of pit bulls. Okay, that's fine--I have no problem with the breed. Thing is, everyone who owns one seems to be taking less than acceptable care of them. The people across the street recently got a lovely little pit puppy, but fail to keep it in their yard. It seems like every other time I exit my house I am greeted by the very friendly puppy, with the owners in their front yard yelling at it to come back. When it returns, they beat it and throw it inside. How charming. One night I came out and it was loose with another pit puppy with the owners not in sight. I understand dogs get loose, but constantly? And although they are friendly puppies now, with all the beatings they get, I can't imagine them being stable dogs later on. Yes, I have reported them. No, nothing came of it.

Yesterday is what really ticked me off. I was driving through my neighborhood and came upon a young teen walking yet another pit bull puppy. The puppy was SCARED of walking a certain direction.. For whatever reason. But, instead of trying to coax the dog or make it comfortable, she began hitting it over the head repeatedly. Even after the dog was walking away from her, she followed it (with the leash in her hand) and kept striking it. It's just sickening to see this kind of treatment, and there's something that upsets me to a higher extent when seeing it done to a breed that has a terrible reputation BECAUSE of treatment like this.

Mm, I don't know, I just had to tell the story and get it out of my system. Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That is terrible! How could anyone do that to a dog? I would want to run over to them and beat them in the head... but I know that wouldn't go over so well. Why the heck would no one do anything if you've reported it, that's so rediculous. People suck... poor babies :( I'm sorry you had to see that, it would have infuriated me as much as i'm sure it did you...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Call Animal control?
As I said for the first family, I have. Nothing came of it--I do not know the specific details as to why. I suppose I could call again, but something tells me unless they see it themselves, they will do nothing. That's the general attitude here (or so it has been in my experience).

And what exactly would I tell them about the teen girl? The only information I have is that it happened. I do not know the girl, or where she lives, and if I were to approach the girl I can guarantee I'd get no answers and a massive amount of hostility. If you have suggestions as to what I could do, I'd be more than happy to receive them and even attempt them if at all possible.

Please don't put the responsibility on me when I feel I've done what I could when I could, though.. That really makes me feel even more awful.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Keep trying to get AC's attention, and just keep saying you have seen them physically hit their dog more than once.

You can also report the fact that their dog is not properly contained, and you have run into it numerous times on the street.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep trying to get AC's attention, and just keep saying you have seen them physically hit their dog more than once.

You can also report the fact that their dog is not properly contained, and you have run into it numerous times on the street.
I will continue to do so, then, if it my repeated complaints will get their attention. I just have my own personal doubts that anything will be done, as there's been a general lack of action on their part. But, I'll keep at it. Hopefully something WILL be done.

·
Banned
749 Posts
If the abuse is going on right in front of you and AC did nothing about it then I would take a video of it with a cell phone cam at the least. Then take the video show AC again. Tell AC if they do not do anything this time that you will show the video to the local news media and then AC would have big problems.

·
Registered
964 Posts
That is plain torture. I know you get mad at dogs for things they do (mine just wet on the floor as I am writing this) you still have realize they are puppies which translates into babies. Doggy abuse!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Can you print out copies of some of the stickies at the top of these forums ("So you got a puppy...things you should know" "Positive training" "dealing with fearful dog" etc. And make up a nice "Congratulations on your new dog/puppy!" flyers. Maybe print out a list of vets, vaccination schedule for puppies, benefits of spay/neuter, health risks to unspeutered dogs/dogs that give birth, local training classes w/phone numbers, etc. Basically a nice, "welcome to dog ownership thing. Include some coupons for treats. I'd also make a page of useful links (Dog food analysis, dogforums etc). Personally, I'd buy a cheap basket at a dollar store, and a folder to put everything in, and a couple of cheap toys, and tie with a ribbon and a "Congratulations" card.

I'd drop it off on their doorstep (or steps of the worst offenders). Maybe some of it would sink in. At least the info might be well received, and if they saw you doing it, they couldn't be mad, but think you are really nice. (Tell them you are the local dog advocate...which is true). Then if you see them on the street hitting their dog, you can say "hi" and ask if they'd like a suggestion that has worked for lots of people with that same problem. You're likely to be better recieved, and you are only out a few dollars, yet helping some puppies.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
IDK about you, but if I saw someone beating a dog like that, I'd get out and take it from them. That's just STUPID. As for the puppy that is constantly at your doorstep... take it and find a home for it, before it turns into a monster from all of the abuse.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I lived, very briefly, in a very similar place. I can tell you it is very very hard to do anything. Confrontation will get you a face full of hostility or worse.. (even if you confront in a pleasant manner and ask if you can show them a better way).

These dogs are typically owned by people like this ( who beat the dog after they call it to come to them etc.) who want the dog so that they can "look tough" and "cool."

Problem is, they want the image and not the work.

When the dog does not behave, poops in the house, is not taught anything, is too hard to handle, won't walk on a leash.. the dog often ends up neglected out in the back yard, chained to a dog house and is lucky to be fed and watered.

I could tell stories of these same sort of owners and their KIDS.... you have an uphill battle when it comes to their dogs.

Calling AC, making videos if you can etc. are about it on options. You can try printing the stuff and leaving it around, but if it is not read it will just be a waste (tho if ONE person reads it and changes.. that may make the effort worthwhile).

And yes, it stinks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have to make a quick comment, and I hope no one takes this badly. I'm not sure where you live, but in my area, I'm not sure I would call the AC for one reason. In my city, any Pitt that is brought into the shelter, no matter the age or demeanor, is automatically put down. No wait period, no temperament test, no chance. It's horrible, but it's true. We have too big of a problem with dog fighting for the shelter to take any chances...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
That is plain torture. I know you get mad at dogs for things they do (mine just wet on the floor as I am writing this) you still have realize they are puppies which translates into babies. Doggy abuse!!!!!!!!!!
How true!

Only one person in our neighbourhood lets his dog roam around and even then, his very soft with it. It really must be hard seeing dogs being abused like that.
If I where you I would go on reporting the neighbours. No dog, no matter how much it misbehaves, deserves to be ill-treated.

·
Banned
749 Posts
I have to make a quick comment, and I hope no one takes this badly. I'm not sure where you live, but in my area, I'm not sure I would call the AC for one reason. In my city, any Pitt that is brought into the shelter, no matter the age or demeanor, is automatically put down. No wait period, no temperament test, no chance. It's horrible, but it's true. We have too big of a problem with dog fighting for the shelter to take any chances...
You may not call AC but the SPCA has a law enforcement division so that would be an alternative if you seen any animal abuse.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Sorry to say, but being humanely PTS would be better than being beaten daily......

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I lived, very briefly, in a very similar place. I can tell you it is very very hard to do anything. Confrontation will get you a face full of hostility or worse.. (even if you confront in a pleasant manner and ask if you can show them a better way).

These dogs are typically owned by people like this ( who beat the dog after they call it to come to them etc.) who want the dog so that they can "look tough" and "cool."

Problem is, they want the image and not the work.

When the dog does not behave, poops in the house, is not taught anything, is too hard to handle, won't walk on a leash.. the dog often ends up neglected out in the back yard, chained to a dog house and is lucky to be fed and watered.

I could tell stories of these same sort of owners and their KIDS.... you have an uphill battle when it comes to their dogs.

Calling AC, making videos if you can etc. are about it on options. You can try printing the stuff and leaving it around, but if it is not read it will just be a waste (tho if ONE person reads it and changes.. that may make the effort worthwhile).

And yes, it stinks.
That summed up the reasons I feel I can do no more perfectly. It's the "type" of people who live around here, and I know that they are not going to do well with a a "new puppy" basket, as friendly of a gesture as that is.

Especially if they saw me. They'd more than likely have a fit in my face and tell me to mind my own business. And I do have a camera on my phone, but if they were to see me taking a video (and they would as I'd have to be close enough to do so), I doubt there would be a time I could exit the house without being harassed.

I'll continue to call and report what I see, but that's all I can do, and I appreciate your understanding.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm so sorry you have to witness such terrible abuse. I don't want you or your dog to be put in jeopardy if you were to report them. People that treat their dogs terribly will not hesitate to harm you, your dog, and your property. Please stay safe and if you can, record what is happening and report it anonymously; because sadly you have to live in the same neighborhood as them...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts