Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well yesterday I bought a dog - she's a gorgeous 14 week old German Shepherd/Husky/Golden Retriever mix. She has all her shots that are due thus far, but I think in taking her away from brothers and sisters (where they spent a majority of the time running around a barn) has really deflated her.

I took her to my family's cottage where she spent most of the first day hiding under a table. Of course I was there with her the whole time. Then I took her outside and she began playing with my sisters cockapoo and had a ball. She was running around looking a puppy should. However, now that I'm back home and it's just me and her (until my roommate gets home tonight) she's back to being very timid and shy.

I know that it's a complete reversal from what she's used to. But I guess I was more prepared for a puppy I couldn't control, not one who just wants to lay on the floor and sleep. She's also not leashed trained or house trained at all. I know now is the time of a puppy's life where she needs socializing, but she gets so scared of all the new noises (cars especially) that I'm afraid I'm going to traumatize her. She won't even climb the stairs in my house yet.

Is there anything I can do to make her transition more bearable? She seems to trust me (when she's away from me she whines a lot) but I don't know how to toughen her up so to speak.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
That's what socialization is all about...going out into the world and noticing what sets your puppy off...a scary sight, certain noises, bikes, cars, men, etc. and then building her confidence to cope with those things. You do all the confidence stuff...associating good things (treats, ice cream, playing with toys, petting...whatever your puppy likes) with the scary things but, at some distance...never get so close that the puppy goes ballistic.

Stairs are a great example of something scary and can be a wonderful confidence builder. Put a treat on every step and then walk away. Let her go up and down the stairs at her own pace...getting rewarded for every step she dares to take.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very helpful information, thanks to you both for responding. She's already doing better (although I absolutely hated leaving her locked up for work, even though I did come home for lunch today and will continue to do so). She's climbing the stairs like a pro and getting bolder every hour. Our next step is potty training and leash training.

The potty training is kind of going poorly. I know what to do roughly, keep an eye on her and whenever she looks like shes going to go run her outside and then praise her for going. I also take her out every couple hours for 5-10 mins in hoping she'll go but she never goes outside and I swear she's stealthy about going to the bathroom. I'll look the other way for 2 seconds and look back and theres a wet spot on the floor. I caught her going once and said No in a firm voice and then ran her outside, but she seemed to have finished inside. Seems like one of those things that's going to take awhile, but if anyone any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Eris, yes the pup that I bought was the one in the bottom picture (not the black ones the colored one). She's gorgeous and has a great temperment, but she's never been trained so I have a lot of work ahead of me. Are you from the Syracuse area?

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Eris, yes the pup that I bought was the one in the bottom picture (not the black ones the colored one). She's gorgeous and has a great temperment, but she's never been trained so I have a lot of work ahead of me. Are you from the Syracuse area?
I am from auburn. I saw the ad for those pups. I'd say due to owner's age, they may not have gotten enough socialization with people and where just with the other dogs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am from auburn. I saw the ad for those pups. I'd say due to owner's age, they may not have gotten enough socialization with people and where just with the other dogs.
That is certainly true and is evident in the fact that she's incredibly wary of cars (although she rode pretty well). His daughter is the one who came over and cared for her, but I'd imagine it wasn't enough and she really only had her brothers and sisters to socialize with. She's still young enough though and like I said is getting bolder everyday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts