Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I will start out saying I've been the proud owner of this dog for almost 12 years now and I love her to death. She is a brindle boxer named Binny. She developed red bumps and a loss of hair around her neck line which she scratches often, usually until she bleeds. She has also been losing a lot of hair on her back and has bald spots all over ranging from the size of a dime to the size of a quarter. It all started about three to four months ago and goes away for a few weeks at a time then comes back worse every time. I am very curious as to what she has and I cannot afford to take her to a vet if I can cure it completely myself. If anyone would be so kind as to help a fellow dog lover I would much appreciate it. I took pictures of the area hoping someone could give me a diagnosis from them. They are linked to tinypic so here are the URLs:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2mkqd&s=5
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2946zkn&s=5
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=o7oghs&s=5

Thank you to everyone who answer my call.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Don't know where you are located. Read the stickies under this section. You could possibly get help with vet care. Times are tough and a lot of people do not have the finances to take their pets to the vet. If none of these organizations are in your area google vet care financial assistance in your city.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
As your subject heading states, it does look very serious--not something I would "diagnose" even if I had the knowledge to do so. If I were you, I would call my vet and get some phone advice at a very minimum.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but it would be even better to take her in, since it's been an ongoing, persistent problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh my God, please get that baby to the vet now. I'm honestly shocked that you haven't had it looked at yet. My first guess is a pretty serious case of mange....though I'm no vet. If it's a particular kind of mange, it could just be that her immune system is weak and needs to be somehow strengthened to help her body recover. PLEASE get that boxer baby to the vet........PLEASE.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
www.carecredit.com might be able to help you finance vet care.

There is pet insurance available that is relatively inexpensive.

If you have a relationship with a vet, they might let you make payments.

You could also contact animal rescues in your area and ask if they know of organizations in your area that provide financial assistance.

Pawn shops will loan money on computers.

She definitely needs to see a vet. Please don't put it off. She must be so uncomfortable and in pain. You love her and have been her caregiver for 12 years, so please don't let her suffer with this.

Welcome to the forums. Please update us on what the vet says.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That looks pretty deep, unfortunately. I doubt there is much you would be able to do at home to help that. I hope you are able to get her to a vet soon! Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think my only option is the vet. Thank you for the answers but I believe I'm wasting my time trying to get help over the internet. I will take her to get medical help as soon as I get the money. I will also check with some financial help services. This is killing me seeing her like this. Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
you have no choice but to go to the vet. it looks like mange. you could try putting Vaseline or antibiotic ointment on it to sooth it until you get to the vet. ask a vet if you can make payments like so much a week or month. call the local humane society or animal control and ask where you can find a vet you can make small payments to.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have heard of hair loss being related to a grain-based diet. You may want to consider putting your dog on a raw meat diet.
I am very much a raw diet advocate and feed all 3 of my dogs a raw diet, BUT.......I'm no vet, but no way, no how that is caused by food.......I'd almost bet that is mange.

To the OP......I sure hope you've gotten that poor girl to the vet by now.......I can't imagine how much pain she's in. Without sounding like I'm attacking you, at this point, the dog is in dire need of medical attention and by not taking her in, this is animal neglect/cruelty. I know that if you were my neighbor and I saw the dog looking like that and you not taking it to the vet, I'd be calling Animal Control on you. I truly don't mean to sound harsh but this is serious and that poor dog is suffering. Please update this thread and let us know if you've taken her to see a vet......please.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I realize its very painful, it's obvious from looking at it. I have taken her to a vet and they told me it was a certain type of mange. Guess what, I ran out of money and they won't see her back until I can afford it again. Does that surprise you? Not even a veterinarian will help if you dont have the money. We arent all as fortunate as you are these days. I've had this dog for 12 years now, I didn't expect to be laid off when she got sick. Would you be so kind as to help me with her vet bills? Instead of calling animal cruelty on the person that can't afford a vet, why don't you help me help her intead. I don't expect you to, it's just that you seem so concerned about her I wonder if it's just a show. I have paypal and I will not turn down your support. You'd be so concerned to call animal control, why not be concerned about her health instead. I have paypal and I won't turn down a donation.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Also, contact EVERY animal welfare group (look on petfinder.com or in the phone book to find them) in your area.....Humane Society, SPCA, rescue groups, etc. They frequently have grants to help with vet bills, or they might know someone who could help. Some might turn you down, but keep calling. Persistence sometimes makes a big difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts