Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

We have a 10-month old Cavalier.
She really doesn't eat much. We've tryed many different kinds of foods.

Right now she'll eat the Natural balance dog food roll, but only after a lot of coaxing and hand feeding.

Any advice?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had the same problem with my Moose (Lab/GSP).

He is currently eating Solid Gold pretty well, but it's only a matter of time before he loses interest in that. I've had better luck with making him up some Kongs and stuffing them with a few treats, some moist food, and a biscuit or two in the larger opening. Sometimes he eats his fill (with me reloading it a couple times) sometimes he's not interested though.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have had the same issue. Ruling out any health issues, what about trying frozen pre-made raw? My local store suggested this after going through many top end dog foods that Chloe wouldn't eat. I bought her the Nature's Variety frozen raw chicken medallions and she loves them! I rotate flavors, and since she's small the cost isn't bad at all.

They sell trial sizes for $4.99, so if you check out their website you can find a location near you that sells them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ohhh, I feel your pain. We have two small very picky eaters ourselves and it's totally frustrating to get them to eat. We did try the Natures Variety frozen medallions and they loved them.....for about two weeks, then it was back to....."nah, not interested"
Right now, when they eat, it's usually "Fresh Pet" nuggets which you can get at Petsmart and Fred Meyer and it's refridgerated.....they LOVE raw tripe, but can't just feed them that.
I know, in the end, we really need to play hardball and just offer them nothing but their food for a particular time, then take it up and offer it again next meal time. They could care less about the Kong, unless it's got something like tripe in it.....dog food...could care less.
If anyone has any other suggestions - throw 'em out.
Good luck all!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Like others have said, I also feel your pain. Sasha is such a picky eater and I must say that I've gone through at least 6 different types of kibble. What is working for me now (and hopefully forever) is the Nature's Variety raw medallions. She gets 2 medallions in the morning and then 1/4 cup of Nature's Variety Prarie kibble in the evening. So far, she loves them both and they come in different flavors so I can rotate after each bag to keep her interested. She's been eating this for about 2 maybe 3 weeks now and I've already noticed a huge change in her coat condition, less eye drainage and she just seems very happy ever since I started giving her Nature's Variety.

If you go on their website, you can search to find stores around your area that sell their products. There's also a spot on their website where you can get a "buy one, get one free" coupon for both the raw and the kibble to use at the store of your choice.

I hope you find something that works for you!

·
Registered
296 Posts
At 10 months she can miss a meal or two or three without having serious health issues. If you continue to entertain your dog's finicky nature it will only get worse.
they eat chipmunk heads when feral, she needs to get over it.

Put her meal down at the same time every day and leave it down for 20 minutes. After that time is up, take up the food. I recommend offering her food 2 times a day. Decide what food is best for you and your lifestyle and stick to it.
the hardest part of the process is you worrying about your baby missing a meal. She has to learn she does not control your actions, it's the other way around.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Eating can also be trained. Your dog obeys you in other areas, why is this any different? You make the rules, you control the resource so why is this any different?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
What horseandhound suggested is excellent advice. Your dog needs to understand that food is a valueable resource so it's not going to be around whenever she desires it. So 15 minutes down 2 times a day. Cut back on treats so she'll be hungry to eat. It also trains them that nothing better is coming along so this is it. Given a choice to live or starve, I think your dog will choose life. Of course, you must be sure nothing is medically wrong with her before doing this. We want a trained dog not a dead one.

Some foods are stinkier than others. Pick one that you know she's eaten for a little while and stick with that. I feed Nature's Variety Prairie which I find to be a little stinky and my dog seems to do well on it.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Also your dog may not need as much food right now. 10 months, many pups are mostly done growing and small dogs do need a very small amount of food. If your dog picks at the food then as well as the 15 minute rule cut the amount in the dish to the amount she actually eats or even a bit less. Once that amount of food goes down fast and happy you can increase it a bit at a time IF the dog needs it. Pups need to have a waist and the ribs should be easily felt. I like to see the last couple ribs and feel but not see hip, shoulder and backbone as well. You can make the food of choice tastier by adding warm water to it but it must be thrown out if uneaten as it will spoil rapidly. If you are anxious about the dog not eating anything then you could temporarily add in a couple extra meals a day. Measure the food carefully, use a scale if you have it to see just what the dog is getting. Remember the dog food bag generally lists far more food than most dogs need to maintain good condition. If your 20 pound dog is getting around 300-400 calories she isn't going to starve.

I haven't any problem using canned or fresh food in the diet but many people do. You could as a temporary measure add a bit to a too small amount of kibble to get the dog to learn to eat promptly and quickly and reduce the amount of wet food fed very slowly until it is just water and kibble and then just dry kibble but that is a lot of training.

My elderly dog cannot hold the amount of water and food in her tummy in 2 feedings a day. She currently gets 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. I suspect that is the case for other dogs as well. Feed the dog, just don't be hostage to a picky one. If she needs 3 meals and a snack daily then fine. YOU chose the food though, not her.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts