Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start from the beginning.

In October, my sisters dog died. It was really tragic, as we were 200 miles away when it happened, and it was somebody elses fault. However, things happen, Toby is home now and sits proudly on the mantel piece in a wooden box almost as handsome as him. We've all moved on, apart from my sister.

However, she had a second dog, named Tiffany. She hardly did anything with either Toby or Tiffany prior to Tobes' death, but after that, she's been completely ignoring Tiff. Tiffany was made into a very people oriented dog as a puppy, by my sister, but she's now had no contact with anybody since way before October. It's really sad, because her owner, my sister, is completely ignoring her and telling her to "go away" whenever Tiff braves a visit to "the computer corner" where her owner can be found.

I took Tiffany and one of my other dogs out, just around the shop today. Usually the trip is 5 minutes, including going into the shop and buying things. However, 25 minutes later and no goodies in hand, I return with a very stressed out pair of pooches. Tiffany is scared of everything. Cars: moving and unmoving. Trees, billowing in the wind. She wouldn't pass a house, because there was a medium sized doll outside. She pulled toward the roads, and flung herself everywhere. She nearly slipped her collar at a major road. She was barking more or less continuously, at people, cats, and she would NOT stop woofing at a lamp-post with a poster on it.

So I came home, and told Tiffs owner that she had to do something with her dog. She was fearful and dangerous around roads. She could cause a road accident if she gets loose, or just jumps toward the road and startles a driver. I told my sister that she had to acknowledge the fact she still has a dog, and needs to move on, because her dog is going to be "wrecked for good" if she doesn't start training her and walking her and generally being a good owner. I was met with "oh well". I told her that I'd be looking after Tiffany from then on, and am now dealing with a sulking sis.

I know her dog died and it was a horrible thing, but it's over, sulking isn't going to help, she made a commitment to another dog, and she needs to sort it out. I didn't blank my dogs when I had to have Jack, my previous dog, put to sleep. There's no excuse for ignoring responsibility for something with a heartbeat.

Seeing as Tiffs owner clearly isn't botehred what goes on right now, and just likes the fact she can say "I have a dog", I'm going to do something with Tiffany. I already have three dogs. I don't want to have to take 4 when I decide to move out. Once Tiffany is the dog she's meant to be, I'll decide what to do. Either mum will keep up the trainer, sis will get off her lazy ass, or somebody else will love Tiff. Either way is fine. She just needs SOMETHING to happen with her, otehrwise she WILL be "wrecked forever."

She's scared of more or less everything outside. tail tucked up, hackles up, continuous bark. I've never dealt with a fearful dog, and don't know what to do. I've stocked up on treats and sorted out a treat pouch for early morning, but I don't really have a plan. Just walk passed what she's scared of multiple times, and treat her when she's quiet?

Can someone give me a few tips? I'm used to aggressive, too friendly and anxious. Not fearful.

P.S: I've put a fitting collar on her. :wink:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Before nudging her into fearful situations, while she's still so clearly in the midst of emotional trauma, I'd think about starting with a few days of normal everyday life, throw in some basic obedience work and any other game she might indicate an interest in. Maybe start out on a quiet street. See if she doesn't perk up a little and gain some self confidence.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts