Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Hello, I am new on this site and this is my main probelm. I always ask dog owners but all seem to give me different and inconclusive answers. So I turned to this,....my last option. Ok I was planning on getting my sister a dog she had always wanted(not getting the dog, is NOT a option.) But she already has two females named Star and Zeba. But the dog she wants is a male, should I get him neutered, or just get a female of the same breed? ***When you have 3 dogs what is the best combination, all females, all males, two males 1 female..... PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I think it depends on the dogs and their individual temperments as to what combination of sexes would work best. There is no one right answer, which is why you keep getting different and inconclusive answers from your friends.

If you do get her the male, YES GET HIM NEUTERED!! IMO both of the females should be spayed also, if not already.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Of course you'll always get different answers when you ask different people, because they've all had different experiences :D . But, in general (in my experience), female dogs tend to prefer male companions. Especially if there are 2 females in the home already, adding another female could get....interesting.

Of course, all dogs in the home should be spayed/neutered, but it's especially important to have the male neutered if the females aren't spayed. Just remember that he could get the females pregnant for up to 3 months after being neutered (unless neutered at a very young age), so he'd still have to be kept away from them if they went into heat during that time.

Personally, I have 2 males and a female, and the combination works well for us. The boys do have some rivalry tiffs, but nothing awful.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I personally would add a male, but thats just what I would do:) If the two females get along now I would be afraid to add another and start problems. When the females start fighting it is usually bad.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I have had 2 females and a male before without issues. That is of course very dependent on the individual dogs and the owners ability to manage the situation.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Depends on the individual dogs. I have three dogs - one male, two females., all altered Rose and Chloe aren't best friends, but I think that has to do with both of their temperments more so than being females. The one time we brought a male pup out to the house (Dexter - the Pittie pup my brother was hoping to adopt) Blackie went nuts. So no males here while Blackie is around, or at least male dogs that smell like they are intact (Dexter had just been neutered).

Our neighbors had two Alasken Malamutes...one male, one female, but intact. The female was a very dominant/dog aggressive girl, but she got along with Blackie just fine and lived with us for a few years. Their male also tried to hang out at our house and Blackie would go for blood whenever he came over.

If the dominant dog is male, get a female...if the dominant dog is female, get a male.

So, in your situation, I would get a male and have him neutered. Better yet, get the girls spayed, too.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I had 3 females, and added a 3rd female... everything went fine.
A little later we added a 4th dog, a male. No conflicts at all.
Currently we have 2 females and a male. Everyone does fine.
I think it totally depends on the individual dog's temperament, socialization, and the way the owner watches the dogs.

I'd get him neutered, especially if the females aren't spayed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much! I will tell her all this and make sure she keeps her options open. I really appreciate the great feedback and positive comments. =) See ya soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts