Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
As a future vet tech, am I going to have to lie about what I'm feeding my dog if I get hired by a vet? And WHY do they care so much? Why is it anyone else's business what someone feeds their dog as long as the dog is being fed?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a future vet tech, am I going to have to lie about what I'm feeding my dog if I get hired by a vet?
I'm starting to wonder that too... I guess I'll just do what I'm doing now and not say a thing.

And WHY do they care so much? Why is it anyone else's business what someone feeds their dog as long as the dog is being fed?
I know right! I get sick of people telling me what I should and shouldn't do for my dog. its my dog. my responsibly. I know what's best for her.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Also, what should I say next time a vet or vet tech asks what I'm feeding when I have an appointment? Should I lie?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The AVMA can't stop you from feeding your dog raw food, only discourage. Well, that is unless the federal government gets involved. Raw feeding could eventually be labeled as abuse, and we all know that's ridiculous.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Guys, seriously, this is a non-issue. The AVMA is a professional association, not any kind of governing body. It has no authority over anyone, including its own members. This is not going to threaten anyone's choice or legality to feed raw food in any way whatsoever. It's just an opinion statement, it's not "policy" with a capital P.

Just to put it in perspective, the AVMA has a policy statement that supports pediatric spay/neuter, and so far it's not illegal to spay or neuter at 6 or 12 or 24 months or never. And they have a bunch of policy statements regarding welfare of agricultural animals that have yet to revolutionize farming as we know it. This is not worth one second of concern, I'm not sure why truth about pet food is spazzing so much about it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I'm not sure how this is bad news for me as an individual who raw feeds her dog. Is a vet going to refuse to provide care to my dog because of what I feed her? Am I going to get lectured by my vet? Doubt it. We've already discussed it and she's supportive. Non issue, IMO.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Just to put it in perspective, the AVMA has a policy statement that supports pediatric spay/neuter, and so far it's not illegal to spay or neuter at 6 or 12 or 24 months or never
ummm...yes there is..several places have spay neuter laws in which dogs are required by law to be spayed/neutered by 4 months.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
As I've said on facebook in several raw feeding groups, this really won't change anything in my opinion. You can still feed raw. You can still buy meat. You don't *need* to tell your vet what you feed. They can't make you do anything, and really what are they going to do, send you to a different vet?

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
My dogs are raw fed and will continue to be raw fed until I decide to stop. End of story.
+1 I don't know if my dog will show much of an external difference on raw but I can tell she enjoys it, I can see her deciding which part to eat first and how... She never thought about food before. Raw is best I think.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
ummm...yes there is..several places have spay neuter laws in which dogs are required by law to be spayed/neutered by 4 months.
"Several" places?
Because of the AVMA policy statement? LOLwut.

As I've said on facebook in several raw feeding groups, this really won't change anything in my opinion. You can still feed raw. You can still buy meat. You don't *need* to tell your vet what you feed. They can't make you do anything, and really what are they going to do, send you to a different vet?
Guys, the AVMA is not a governing body and it doesn't have any authority over vets or anyone else, it's just a professional association. Membership is totally voluntary and members are not obligated to follow policy statements. Vets don't have to do what the AVMA says just because they say it. Plenty of vets disagree with plenty of AVMA policy statements and merrily do what they want. This thing is TOTALLY getting blown out of proportion... if it even passes, it literally will not change anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts