Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! My father adopted an older dog (6 yrs old) from his freind who is now in a rest home. The dog has never been trained in any way, but never abused, always cuddled and loved. He is a mixed breed Benji kind of dog. When he is with my dad, he is VERY aggressive toward anyone who gets close to my dad, even people he knows. He will growl,bite, basically go nuts! When he is away from my father, no problems! I can rub my hand all over his face (when he first brought the dog home, I could not do that! It took a few months) I take him for walks, and he's fine with other people walking by. He goes crazy if someone comes to the front door, barks like a mad dog. My dad does nothing to stop it. In fact, he encourages it! He won't tap the dog on the nose when he's sitting on his lap, growling,trying to bite me if I try showing dad something,etc. He cuddles the dog, which to me encourages bad, aggressive behaviour. My dad gets upset at me for bopping the dog on the nose or using a spray bottle. Oh. The dog goes absolutely NUTS if sprayed in the face. It's very frustrating for me that he won't train this thing. I took training classes so you can see my frustration! Any ideas?

·
Registered
173 Posts
No bopping or spraying. It only incites problems, it does no fix them. This sounds like a resource guarding issue where the resource is your dad. I was wrong about this with my own dog, so I suggest you enlist a trainer to help you out. Since your Dad does not see this as a problem, it also looks like a family issue to resolve. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi! My father adopted an older dog (6 yrs old) from his freind who is now in a rest home. The dog has never been trained in any way, but never abused, always cuddled and loved. He is a mixed breed Benji kind of dog. When he is with my dad, he is VERY aggressive toward anyone who gets close to my dad, even people he knows. He will growl,bite, basically go nuts! When he is away from my father, no problems! I can rub my hand all over his face (when he first brought the dog home, I could not do that! It took a few months) I take him for walks, and he's fine with other people walking by. He goes crazy if someone comes to the front door, barks like a mad dog. My dad does nothing to stop it. In fact, he encourages it! He won't tap the dog on the nose when he's sitting on his lap, growling,trying to bite me if I try showing dad something,etc. He cuddles the dog, which to me encourages bad, aggressive behaviour. My dad gets upset at me for bopping the dog on the nose or using a spray bottle. Oh. The dog goes absolutely NUTS if sprayed in the face. It's very frustrating for me that he won't train this thing. I took training classes so you can see my frustration! Any ideas?
Take more training classes, and don't hit his nose or use a spray bottle. Lots of info here on resource guarding. This isn't aggression.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts