Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So I heard that there is vegan dog food out there. I know for certain that I will feed my puppy regular food since I'm positive my family will be against it. But out of curiosity how is the product itself? And had it improve your pet health? I just want to know the benefits as well the cons from it.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Dogs are carnivores. It will not improve your dog's health unless your dog is allergic to common animal proteins.

I'm vegetarian but I would never put my carnivorous pets on a vegetarian diet.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
There are no benefits other than vegans get to feel good about themselves. If you can't bear to feed your dog a diet appropriate for a carnivore, get a rabbit.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I'm sure for the first little while, there *might* be some benefit to using a vegan product - however, like previously stated, dogs are carnivores and there are animal protein and fat requirements they need met to thrive.

Puppy
28% Protein
17% Fat

Adult dog
18% Protein
9-15% Fat

Performance dog
25% Protein
20% Fat

Racing sled dog
35% Protein
50% Fat

Lactating dog
28% Protein
17% Fat

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Dogs thrive best on a meat based diet. I would never, ever, ever recommend a dog be on a vegan diet unless all other options were exhausted (the dog is allergic to almost all common animal proteins). And even then, I would try for the vegetarian route first (eggs and dairy). I try to follow a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle for myself but I wouldn't ever subject my dogs or cats to it. It's not fair to them.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Like the rest said, dogs need meat. If I had a dog that couldn't have meat,mid be working with a nutritionist for a proper diet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, dogs are carnivores and needs meat. I was just wondering since I know a few people who feeds their dog vegan food. I myself am not vegan, but I was curious of how it will affect the dog.

Can anyone recommend me what healthy product to feed my puppy? I use blue buffalo, but I want to see if there are other better and healthy products for her. I'm sorry for asking too many questions, but this is my first time having a puppy and want to do what is best for her.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
What kind of dog, how old, weight....are you able to order online.? I'm not a fan of Blue Buffalo. Regarding vegan food, I wish people wouldn't feed it. I can't imagine why. Dogs need meat. If you want to feed vegan, get a rabbit, IMO.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
No such thing as too many questions! :) Don't feel attacked, people here just like to keep each other informed - especially when it comes to choosing your dogs diet! :D

I personally feed Merrick Texas Beef recipe - limited ingredient as my dog has many allergies. My cats are on Now! which is also made for dogs. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She is a Shih tzu, 7 days to go until she is 4 months old, and she weights less than 12 pounds. I can definitely order online.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Well, then any food! I'm not one to feed puppy food, I always used all life stages. Some foods I like are Annamaet, Farmina, Dr Tims.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts