Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I have a female dog, 4 years old. I recently had to switch her temporarily to a cheap dog food several weeks ago, and around the same time she started antibiotics for a skin infection on her dewclaw. She has been off the antibiotics about a week, and until now has been on the cheap grocery store brand food, which before now only seemed to cause bad breath. The last two days or so I have noticed her licking her nether-regions incessantly, she will even stop during walks to do this. She has a habit of, when she has an infection or itch or whatever, licking and chewing so much that it makes the condition worse. I am wondering if there is a risk of this behavior causing more irritation in a vaginal condition. It's also irritating to me to hear her licking all the time, and for her sake and mine I have just put a cone collar on her. Is this a good idea? Today I have also gone out and purchased the food she was on before, which she did fine on, and have started her back on that.

I figure it's either an allergic reaction to the crap food she was on, or maybe a yeast infection from the antibiotics (if dog yeast infections are anything like human yeast infections this seems viable to me). I am thinking that if it doesn't clear up in a few days after switching her food maybe I will consider it a yeast infection, at which point I would like to know some at-home treatments I could try until I can get her in to a vet. Am I handling this appropriately? Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
50 Posts
My lhaso had a UTI 4 months ago and was constantly going to town down there, so yes. She needed antibiotics for this.

Not sure how determined and festidious your dog, but the collar can create anxiety.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure how determined and festidious your dog, but the collar can create anxiety.
putting a cone collar on my dog is like pressing a pause button. the most movement i can get from her in it is when she goes from sitting to lying, and she will delicately place her head in my lap. that's all she will do. she will not walk in it. If I put it on her and leave the room and come back 10 minutes later, shes in the exact same spot in the same position, looking at me. I have never left it on more than a few hours at a time, I always feel sorry for her. When it's on I pick her up and carry her with me and set her beside me, since she always wants to be near me. Has anyone else had a reaction like this from their dog? Will she get used to it and should I put it on her until this is sorted out?

also I just now checked her out "down there"... there are three swollen pinkish... sacs? right next to eachother below her vagina. I'm worried now, what might this be?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
idk, my vet told me that dogs have a certain amount of yeast on their tongues. When they lick they transfer yeast to the area. (That's the reddish brown area that your see.) I have special wipes that I use to clean my lab, but when she first came out of heat a few years ago, the vet gave me a steriodal powder to help stop the itching and prevent her from licking. It's possible that her food may be contributing to the problem. It's also possible that, like in people, the antibiotics are changing the natural good versus bad bacteria in her body. A little yogurt in her meals might help.

I would have it checked out by your vet and see what they say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts