Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a dog yesterday. The previous owner has not gotten the dogs shots. She is 1 almost 2 years old (she will be 2 in Jan). We will be taking her to a vet ASAP for a check up and to be spay. I am a nurse and have no problems given her the shots but will she have to stay at the first vaccines or is there a delayed vaccine schedule (like there is for humans)

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I don't understand your question (what is a delayed vaccine schedule?). However, I guarantee you you'll have no problems with vaccinations. Almost everyone regards it as critical to get core vaccines, including rabies, parvo, and distemper. Some people think it overloads the immune system to get them all at once and advocate staggering. The other available vaccinations vary in importance, depending on geography and habits (will you be putting your dog in boarding kennels, or doing agility, etc.). You can buy vaccines . . . they're cheap and easy to give if you're a nurse; often they come in forms where one jab covers 3 or 5 or 7 diseases. It's good to establish a relationship with a vet and in places where rabies vaccination is required by law, you must get a vet to sign off on it to get a rabies tag.

Multiple vaccinations (at ~2 week intervals) are generally given to puppies. Others may have some advice on this and I claim no authority. However, the reason given for doing multiple jabs is that maternal antibiodies may interfere with the vaccine. At almost 2 years that is not going to be a problem. A single jab should be effective. Bottom line . . . get a vet to do rabies, at least. Find out what K9 diseases are around your area, and what jabs are required for any dog activities or boarding you are likely to do. Work out your vaccination regime accordingly.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You can request that the vaccines be given over a period of time. More than likely the vet will recommend that, so the dog isn't receiving three to four shots all at once.

My vet prefers to not give more than one vaccine at a time. The first visit is the full exam with one vaccine, then we come back a few days later and the vet gives a shot, but we aren't charged for an office visit, just the shot-which is nice.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Any time I have gotten an older dog (over a year) I have given them all their shots they need for our area just to be on the safe side if I do not know their history. I only give the shots once. We do not need a Rabies shot in our area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts