Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We're the typical dog owner and vaccinate our dogs yearly for Bordatella, Distemper/Parvo/that combo, and three years for rabies. I'm becoming increasingly leery of vaccinations as this is the second year in a row Jonas and Smalls have had reactions to the injections. I've heard boosters, the word "titers" etc. thrown around and I'd like more information/where to look on finding alternatives to the typical vaccination schedule. We spoke with our vet today about, and they were unwilling to tell us any thing but to stick to their current vaccinations and that sometimes dogs just have reactions.

What is your vaccination schedule like? Am I way off base assuming there is something else? I'm going to google and call around, but I'd like to hear what every one else has going on and if I should pursue any thing.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I'm no expert so I can simply relay what my vet says. My vet gives annual rabies shots because they're required by law. They've now changed the law so that it's only required every other year and I'm assuming this is what my vet will now do. She breaks up the parvo/distempter/etc... vaccination up and gives one every third year. So the dog might get all three the first year if his vaccination history is unknown and get parvo only the year after that, distempter only the year after that, etc.... So the dog basically gets a booster every third year. Again, I'm not a vet, this is what my veterinarian recommends for my dogs.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
mine get three sets of distemper and parvo as puppies. Then rabies at about 8 months or so. Then one more parvo/distemper booster at a year old and that's it. I do yearly or every year and a half (depends on if I'm showing heavily or not) rabies.

But my old dogs who just sit at home and are retired don't even get their rabies anymore.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I'm with Txcollies. My seniors don't get get any shots....only my show dogs (required).
If I'm forced to board them, then I bring them up to date.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I do pretty much what txcollies and tooney do...mine get the puppy series, then one year boosters, and then that's it. Rabies they get yearly because it's required by law.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I don't know if I'd feel comfortable with my dogs running around with no shots at all. I think boosters every year are kind of overkill though.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the information everyone. It's one of the areas of the dog world I'm not terribly informed about beyond what my vet says.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Three dogs right now and havehad many dogs in the past. They also get all the puppy series (no lepto, no corona, no giardia, no bordatella unless boarding) including rabies, then vax at one year, one more round (one shot at a time though, no combos for them) of each which brings them to 3-4 years of age...after that nothing unless they go to a class or something that requires me to prove they are up to date.

I have one dog that had a severe reaction to a vaccination a few years ago and she will never get any shot ever again.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think what I would like to adopt is simply getting the three year rabies vaccines. Jack had a reaction to the bord shot when we had it done for day camp, and Jonas and Smalls had reactions to the distemper combo, and then again this year even when we did not get a combo just separate shots. I don't like the reactions twice now.

Also, they're all well beyond puppyhood. Smalls is nearly 3, Jonas is nearly 4, and Jack is between 5 and 7 (best guess).

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I agree with TxCollies. In past I've gone along with the annual vaccinations that vets recommended but after doing some research and just remembering a different time when we didn't over-vaccinate I've decided that this pup will be treated the "old-fashioned" way and get its puppy shots (but no 5-6 way combo shots that overwhelm a small body), and its adult booster. Then no more vaccinations unless titer levels indicate a need or for legal purposes. Here in CA where I currently live, rabies shots are required every 3 years, which isn't bad.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
My vet is also backing off giving shots every year. If Poca wasn't in daycare, she would not be getting bordatella. Lepto is a big problem where we are so she still gives that one. Rabies ever 3 years.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I agree with you all. The stinky thing is that testing for titer levels is more than $200. I wish it was cheaper. And sometimes titer level results will be low, but the pet will still have immunity.
My dogs are getting older (5 & 7) and have some medical issues so I now object to all shots other than rabies. Before that they had boosters every year...
Thanks for bringing this up OP. I feel it is important that others know about this too since most vets will tell you to get boosters every year.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I agree with you all. The stinky thing is that testing for titer levels is more than $200. I wish it was cheaper. And sometimes titer level results will be low, but the pet will still have immunity.
My dogs are getting older (5 & 7) and have some medical issues so I now object to all shots other than rabies. Before that they had boosters every year...
Thanks for bringing this up OP. I feel it is important that others know about this too since most vets will tell you to get boosters every year.
I don't know that that's true. The national vet associations seem to have backed away from the annual booster things over the last couple of years. As I said, my vet doesn't recommend annual boosters.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
My dogs get a three years rabies shot. I have recently switched their schedule from an every other year DHLPP to a 3 year DHP no Lepto.

My dogs do get bordatella due to show travel.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Nike, why didn't I notice you were in WI before? o_O!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts