Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my neighbours only have one dog...staffy cross god knows what. so anyway i was talking to them about vaccinations. my dogs are fully vaccinated with C5 (i live in australia, so rabies isn't given over here) any way i was going over how each dog has had three shots and has there yearly booster, and she said "rubbish", i was like excuse me, she said, it's all just a big government conspiracy to get more money and that her dog only gets the first C3 vaccination and that's all. I tried to explain that without the follow up booster shots, that vaccination was useless, but she wouldn't listen. I can't believe that there are still people out there that believe this rubbish, that dogs don't need vaccinations....I GET SO MAD? do you guys know of anyone like that, that flat out refuses to vaccinate, because of political views/world views?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I don't do annual shots because they are not necessary. I do, however, do puppy shots and some boosters

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i fully understand where you guys are coming from, but i boared my dogs bi-annually and it's illegal not to have them fully vaccinated if they are going into boarding. my problem with this lady is that she doesn't even believe in the full course of puppy vaccines. what is the point of getting one shot, that will be rendered null and void if it is not backed up by booster shots

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Well you must do the booster shots to board. Not everyone boards so they have no reason to give shots that are not needed in other words yes "rubbish" is right. Here it is about vets making $, but there are even vets speaking out about over vaccination, why they are not needed, ect. That is how the information is shared with the public. I chose not to give mine because they don't need them though and it isn't healthy on their immune system. Not because of world or political views.

I really don't know what a C3, ect vaccine is/includes. I know what is in the US shots but not sure on the Australia ones.

As for puppy shots yes it is kind of pointless to just give one and not any others. If she has the feeling that they don't need them then she should not give the pups any at all. If she just doesn't want to give them a lot then 2 series would be more appropriate from what I've learned of the vaccs. One is not good but after 2 they have some immunity. Then there are those who give like 4 to the pup plus each year they give a booster.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here in australia it is illegal to sell pups without their first vaccinations. parvovirus is rampant and on average 600 pups die yearly of this disease, which is very preventable if vaccinations are taken. C3 does, distemper, parvovirus and hepatitis while the C5 (the one you need for boarding) does C3 plus Both strains of kennel cough, bordatella influenza and parainfluenza. you cna also get a c7 which is usually what puppies will be vaccinated for if bought froma petshop, it's a C5 plus leptospirosis and caronavirus

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
My dogs get a full series of puppy shots and one year boosters, and that's all...I discussed this with my vet first and she gave the ok...they still come in yearly for HW tests so they can stay on preventative and for rabies which is required by law. I've never had to board them, but if I did I would just have them brought up to date.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
here in australia it is illegal to sell pups without their first vaccinations. parvovirus is rampant and on average 600 pups die yearly of this disease, which is very preventable if vaccinations are taken. C3 does, distemper, parvovirus and hepatitis while the C5 (the one you need for boarding) does C3 plus Both strains of kennel cough, bordatella influenza and parainfluenza. you cna also get a c7 which is usually what puppies will be vaccinated for if bought froma petshop, it's a C5 plus leptospirosis and caronavirus
Thanks for the explanation of what the vaccines contain.

That is horrible that they give the C7 to pups, 6 way is harsh enough on them. I imagine with pet shop pups though they are not coming from good or clean conditions if they are like here. There is also going to be a lot of exposure putting them at great risk to get some type of illness. So I see why they have the need to do it.

Parvo is fairly common here as well, some places in the states are worse then others, very bad. As the poster below stated it doesn't just effect puppies, I've also seen vaccinated adults come down with it.

Um I am sorry but I have seen adult dogs get parvo so I am all for the vaccine if you are taking them outside of your home.... I live in the states so I vaccinate against rabies as well.

·
Banned
220 Posts
It's common debate with vaccinations and people. I understand both sides of that argument and can agree with both sides....now with dogs, I am not sure what the side is "against" vaccinations, only for, so I cannot fully understand both perspectives.

My personal belief is for vaccinations...but, I understand how some do not because of this or that.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I don't do boosters, I only do rabies after much bitching. :p I give the bare minimum of puppy shots, rabies and that's it.

My old dogs dont get year rabies after about age 8 or so.

If your dogs are "vaccinated, healthy and protected" why are you worried about getting anything from your neighbors dog?

50% of Parvo cases happen in vaxed dogs, so yea, I'm not depending too highly on the vax.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts