Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:

I just adopted a yellow labrador (Elliott) two weeks ago. Before adopting him, he had his first round of vaccines. He went into the vet this past Tuesday for neutering and the second round of vaccines. The nurse at the vet told me he'll have to come in in another 3 weeks for a third set of booster vaccines before he's able to go outside.

This seems like a really unnecessarily long time to me to keep my new pup inside and not have any chances to interact with other dogs and humans in the outside world. I'd like to enroll him in puppy kindergarten and make sure he's exposed to as many of the experiences he'll have throughout his life as early as possible. Is waiting for that third round of vaccines pretty commonplace? If so, what should I do in the meantime to make sure he's being properly socialized?

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Hey all:

I just adopted a yellow labrador (Elliott) two weeks ago. Before adopting him, he had his first round of vaccines. He went into the vet this past Tuesday for neutering and the second round of vaccines. The nurse at the vet told me he'll have to come in in another 3 weeks for a third set of booster vaccines before he's able to go outside.

This seems like a really unnecessarily long time to me to keep my new pup inside and not have any chances to interact with other dogs and humans in the outside world. I'd like to enroll him in puppy kindergarten and make sure he's exposed to as many of the experiences he'll have throughout his life as early as possible. Is waiting for that third round of vaccines pretty commonplace? If so, what should I do in the meantime to make sure he's being properly socialized?
Your vet is your best option for knowing how big a problem parvo is in your area, and ultimately the risk is yours to decide to take (or not).

My attitude, living in an area where parvo is common, particularly ferocious, and very often deadly, is that you can't socialize a dead dog. She goes out, but she goes out in my arms to meet people and experience things, and will do so for another month. (She's younger than your pup, has had one round, has another a week from now, and then the third in another 3 weeks). In an area that had deep winter freezes, or a less virulent strain of parvo, I'd be more likely to start socializing her heavily. Heck, even if she weren't tiny and weaned too young, I'd be more inclined. But here, and with her? No way.

·
Registered
583 Posts
How old is your puppy?
You say he was just neutered , so , I'm guessing your pup is over 3 months age. If this is correct , then 3 rounds of puppy shots is excessive , IMO.

oldhounddog

·
Registered
583 Posts
My attitude, living in an area where parvo is common, particularly ferocious, and very often deadly, is that you can't socialize a dead dog. She goes out, but she goes out in my arms to meet people and experience things, and will do so for another month.
I like this protective approach as it is exactly How I see it .

oldhounddog

1 - 4 of 4 Posts