Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Vaccination question

507 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Shell 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I have recently added a rambunctious pit mix boy to my small family, and I am getting ready to take him to the vet tomorrow for his first checkup. Though, I am a little nervous about it :(

When I picked up Jensen from a local lady who was giving them away a few weeks ago, she told me she had wormed him and given him a 5 in 1 shot a few hours ago, giving me also the shot information baggie with it to see what all it contained/had been used. The only thing is most vets do not accept such shots and want to revaccinate, and I also know the 5 in 1 if not properly stored can fail to protect the puppy. As I do not know the woman personally or how her shots were stored/even shipped properly, I am considering revaccination because I want to make absolutely sure he's protected.

The only thing is I don't want to do anything that hurts his health. I've researched around a little bit on revaccination not being ideal, and it can make the puppies pretty sick. I know a lot of people administer and do shots through 5 in 1, mostly breeders, but I have always had the vet take care of everything.

Would anyone be able to offer some advice who might have also had a similar experience, and calm the nerves of an anxious dog mom? :(

See less See more
#2 ·
Puppy combo vaccines are generally given as a series about 3 weeks apart, with final vaccine around 16-20 weeks of age. As in, roughly 8 weeks 12 weeks and 16 weeks for the parvo distemper combo and then a rabies vaccine last.

So it is totally normal and expected to vaccinate a puppy again at the vet's after getting a pup from a breeder who either gave the first vaccine themselves at 7-8 weeks old or have a vet do it. This is because maternal antibodies prevent a vaccine from "taking" but wear off at a different rate in each individual puppy so a series will reduce the window of time that a pup is not covered by either maternal antibodies or vaccine induced antibodies of their own.

Basically every dog that enters a shelter or rescue is automatically given a combo vaccine and rabies vaccine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.