Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often does a dog need the vaccinations for lyme disease and heartworm?

This is my first dog on my own and the vet made it sound like she needs them every month for the rest of her life. When I was younger none of our family dogs went to the vet every month and my best friend said her dog only goes to the vet once a year unless there is something wrong.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
How often does a dog need the vaccinations for lyme disease and heartworm?

This is my first dog on my own and the vet made it sound like she needs them every month for the rest of her life. When I was younger none of our family dogs went to the vet every month and my best friend said her dog only goes to the vet once a year unless there is something wrong.
Heartworm meds aren't a vaccination. They're ordinarily given once a month.

The Lyme's vax is only given in areas where Lyme's is prevalent. We don't have it here, but I'd assume the recommendation is either yearly or every three years, like most vaccinations. Not monthly, anyway. You're probably thinking of a topical tick repellent.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Puppies do need boosters every months until they're 4 months old. Not for lyme and heartworm, though, but for parvo and distemper. Once they're older they don't need frequent vaccination. So I'm not sure if you're misunderstanding something the vet said or if your vet really is trying to get you to come in every month.

And, yeah, flea meds and heartworm pills are needed monthly but you don't need to take the dog in every month. You just buy a 6-12 month supply all at once.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The dog's an adult, so I think the OP is pretty clearly mixing up vaccinations with preventatives.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, the vet said she needed heartworm either in a shot once a month or pills everyday.

I think the other woman was the vet tech that said she needed a shot for lyme disease every month but her old vet said she didn't need it at all right now, this was her first visit to this vet office. The woman asked how often my dog was outside alone and I told her that she is never outside without me so she said it wasn't a must for her to get it now. My dog is 2 years old now, her previous owners said that she had the lyme vaccination already but the office said she hasn't had it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Puppies do need boosters every months until they're 4 months old. Not for lyme and heartworm, though, but for parvo and distemper. Once they're older they don't need frequent vaccination. So I'm not sure if you're misunderstanding something the vet said or if your vet really is trying to get you to come in every month.

And, yeah, flea meds and heartworm pills are needed monthly but you don't need to take the dog in every month. You just buy a 6-12 month supply all at once.
The vet said I could get the heartworm pills or I could take her in every month to get the shot.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Wow! Someone sounds confused and I don't think it's you, BSGNerd.

My experience with the Lyme vaccine is one injection is given and then there is a booster a few weeks later (~2-4, if I remember correctly). I do think it's one that needs to be given annually unlike the parvo, distemper combo or rabies. There are monthly preventatives (either pills or topicals) that are used to prevent flea and tick infestations. It's only needed where Lyme is common (my area has one of the highest incidence rates in the country). You might check the CDC site for information on it's prevalence in your area.

I do believe there is a heartworm preventative injection that lasts six months. I don't really know anything more about it. Generally, in areas where heartworm exists (pretty much anywhere with mosquitoes), monthly pills are given. Unless, your dog was diagnosed with heartworms, then there is a different protocol.

I'd perhaps check out another vet practice in your area and ask some questions about recommended preventatives in your area.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
There is no monthly shot for heartworm prevention that I'm aware of. There is an injection called ProHeart that can be given every six months. Oral heartworm preventatives are given once a month.

cookieface is correct, for a dog who has never had Lyme vaccine it is given once, then boosted 3-4 weeks later, then just once a year.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Hmm, Banfields are usually pretty standardized, I'm surprised. Because yeah, those are some weird recommendations. Some country vets will do a monthly ivermectin injection for heartworm, but this is unnecessary because the ivermectin can be given orally. But I wouldn't think a Banfield would recommend that. And I know that there used to be a heartworm med that was given daily but I'm pretty sure it's been discontinued and they're all monthly now, besides the 6-month shot.

The usual recommendations are: if Lyme disease is a concern in your area, give it yearly just before tick season starts. It doesn't always confer immunity for a full year but there shouldn't be very many ticks by the time it wears off. Heartworm preventives should be given monthly unless you choose the 6-month injection (I wouldn't, unless it's really a problem to give meds monthly. There have been some side effects from the injection and it's not like you can just stop giving it if your dog has a reaction). Heartgard Plus/Triheart Plus are probably the most common but there are some other brands too.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Here in the states there is a Pro heart 6 injection that is an injection given every 6 months for heartworm preventive in dogs. In Australia they have a Pro Heart 12 injection that is given once a year for heartworm preventive.

It is more common for owners to give a monthly oral Heartworm preventive and a topical flea/tick preventive. Now there are some oral flea tick preventives on the market.

Maybe they meant you could come in monthly to get the preventive (oral or tropical) for your dog than to get a years supply all at once. I know some owners opt to do that because of cost.

I would contact the clinic because there seems to be a confusion of what needs to get done.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Those recommendations, as stated, are bizarre.

Every month, on the 20th, I give my dog his heartworm pill. At home. I buy a 6 months supply, twice a year. I have to go back to the vet once a year to get the prescription for the heartworm pill renewed.

I use the Seresto collar for flea and tick control. I buy (from chewy.com, not the vet) the collar, put it on, leave it on and replace it in 8 months. No prescription or vet visit involved.

You can get monthly flea and tick preventatives, either a liquid you apply once a month, or a pill you give once a month, but neither one requires a vet visit. (The pill might require a vet visit, but not monthly or daily or anything.)

Lyme vaccine is just like the flu shot in humans, basically. You get it done once a year. The first shot requires a booster within the month, but after that, it's yearly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts