Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
The only problem you may have vaccinating at home is that a lot of veterinarians, state, city and county animal agencies will not accept proof of vaccine from anyone but a licensed veterinarian. My dogs received their vaccines from the rescue I volunteer for and their gp vet would not accept my word for it, despite the fact that I had the empty vials with the expirations dates, etc.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Buying vaccines at the local feed store has their own set of problems. You have no guarantee that the vaccines were stored properly so they MAY be ineffective. You have to rely on the store to be very careful.
At the vets the dogs and puppies get an exam before the vacc is administered, as giving a vaccine when the dog may be fighting an infection or illness not only stresses their immune system but can lessen the efficacy of the vaccine.
I also believe strongly in developing a relationship with your vet, both for your sake and for the dog's. Those puppy visits go a long way towards doing this, and also help your puppy become familiar with the vet hosp. environs, it's part of his socialization process.
So In my opinion, going to the vet has too many pros v the self vaccination cons to consider doing it myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have been vaccinating our pup since we got her @9 weeks. We haven't had any issues at all and it was WAY cheaper than going to the vet. We spoke with some friends who have always home vaccinated and they gave us a website that was trusted. We will be going to the vet for her Rabies shot and to do a check-up since she has never been.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Nope. For several reasons, but mostly it's just not worth saving a few bucks every few years. Dogs can have a reaction to vaccines and most people are not equipped to handle a medical emergency at home. My biggest concern with average pet owners doing their own vaccinations is that the dog may not get preventative vet care.

Rabies has to be done by a vet anyway.

·
Super Moderator
11,624 Posts
The guy we got our lab, Cubby, from was doing his own vaccinations. He claimed he'd been doing them for two years.

The fact that he couldn't "remember" his vet's name was a tad disturbing.

Routine vaccinations are just one of many reasons to go to a vet regularly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts