Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Utu (''Mist'') the Finnish Lapphund puppy from 7 to 10 weeks. She is my first dog and she's amazing :clap2: She loves berries and off-leash walks in the forest. You can also find her in instagram @lapphundutu.

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
She's adorable! How many people have asked you if she's a pomsky? :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None! One girl mistook her for a husky, though. But Lappies are one of the most common breeds here in their native land so most people who've approached me have recognized her, lots of them have even talked about their own lappies or the lappies of their relatives or friends. I've also been asked which breeding line Utu belongs to :D

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
They're definitely not as common here. I've never seen one in person, just online! Many of the "pomsky" pics posted online are actually Lapphund or Alaskan Klee Kai (which is the breed I have). They sound like lovely dogs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen a few instagram lapphund photos advertised as ''pomskies'', but I've never heard of or seen a pomsky in Finland (if there are any, they're very rare) Your klee kai looks like a beauty, can you tell me more about him/her?

Lapphunds are lovely dogs. They're very friendly towards other dogs and people, smart, trainable, and have a gorgeous voice. I'd like to take Utu to a reindeer herding test one day to see if she's got it in her blood. In her family line there were lots of herders 7 and 8 generations down, I'm not sure if there are some even later, but generally herding line lappies tend to do well on these tests.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Lappies are high on my list of breeds that I am seriously interested in. I have not yet met any, but there is at least one breeder within a few hours of me so I've seen some (from afar) at shows and I just love what I've seen about their attitudes/energy. My only reservation is their coat.... I love fluffy dogs, but if owning an eskie has taught me anything it's that I am a lazy groomer, haha.

Can't wait to see more pictures of Utu as she grows up!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even though they're fluffy, grooming lappies is actually not so difficult! One breeder said she'd not even comb her dogs every week, and only washed them a couple of times a year; they shed their fur twice a year (for summer and winter) and have a water-repellant outer coat that helps them stay clean. The breed standard is not too strict though, so there are dogs with different types of coats (some are more fluffy than others, and the two main breeding lines differ from one another)

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Your klee kai looks like a beauty, can you tell me more about him/her?
He's a pretty typical klee kai, which means he's a jerk, haha. He doesn't like strangers or other dogs. He also has separation anxiety, and he's not good off leash, both typical AKK traits. He's great with me and my family... friendly, trainable, fairly eager to please, not barky. I don't recommend the breed to many people, though, because they're just weird little dogs. They need proper socialization, but even that doesn't guarantee that they will like strangers once they hit maturity. I did everything right with mine -- puppy classes, socialization with good people and dogs, exposure to lots of different sights and sounds -- but it's hard to overcome that natural wariness. When people tell me they want a pomsky (which means they want a small-to-medium, rather husky-looking dog), I usually point them toward a lapphund before I point them toward an AKK!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts