Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my doxie developed a UTI a few months ago and has undergone treatment and is now on a special food. The brand is Royal Canin, urinary 50. He has a recheck in may to see if there is still signs of infection, but they told me there is a good chance that he may have to eat the food the rest of his life.

Well I have no problem feeding him a special diet that cost a lot more at the moment, but I need a back up if something happens. At the moment 30lb bag is 75 bucks, and i was wondering if anyone knew if there is another brand that make UTI food.

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Stella has been thru the same thing. The vet wants her to eat the Royal Canin SO, too. I want to do what's best for her, but this food just does not have very good ingredients. I did some research and found a few thing out. First off, there are some foods that might be okay to use for urinary health. Flint River Ranch Trout formula and Lamb & Rice formula are two foods that are supposed to help with urinary health. Eagle Pack Holistic Select Anchovy dry and chicken can may help with urinary health. Actually, any lower protein, lower phosphorus and magnesium foods should help. Some off the top of my head are Solid Gold Holistic Blendz. This food is good to mix with can food. Cal. Natural herring is another good one. Also, Natura's Innova Senior (not Senior Plus) is a lower protein, phosphorus food. Lot's of water is necessary. Can food is much better overall than dry. I mix both together with a little bit of water. I am using Eagle Pack Holistic Select Anchovy dry/EPHS chicken can. I also rotate with the Flint River Ranch Trout dry food. Another thing that might help is a cranberry supplement. I use Solid Gold Berry Balance for Stella. I also check her urine PH with some test strips I ordered from Solid Gold. Neutral PH is around 7. I hope this helps you a little...:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts