Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so time to go to PetsMart to pick up Luke's food and it was the very first item on the shelf, which was a bit weird as I usually have to go looking, but hey it's there and it says ProPlan: Chicken and Rice Formula and so I grab it and go.

I get home, cut the seal open and what? The kibble is small, what's going on? Oh drat, I got 7+ food for him, can I take it back? My mother says no, the seal was broken but maybe we can ask. I say, we can still try. My father says dogs have taste buds and like the taste of different foods, so keep it.

Okay, so now this is a tidbit fact, we (as in my mother and I) left before any of us, including Luke, ate. So by the time we got home we were hungry. I let Luke taste the Senior food and he loves it! He ate the whole bowl that I gave him, now I'm wondering....and here's where the questions come in.

1) Can a 3yr old eat senior dog food? Will it hurt him? I will mix in his food (we still have some left) with the other food so he won't get used to it.

2) Is there any type of dog food where the kibble is small? I'm thinking maybe Luke likes small kibble as his dog food now is triangular and medium sized; the only time he eats his food is if something is in it (ex: chicken), but he ate this one without anything in it!

3) As stated above Luke is 3yrs old. How many times can you change a dog's food for them? I would go back to Buffalo Blue, but I believe the price is still high.

And those are my worries right now. Did I make a mistake or will nothing come from it? :confused:

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The formulas are slightly different but no harm is going to come to your dog! Over the long term, I would stick with the formula made for your dog, but a bag isn't going to hurt anything!
When you get down to half a bag, get your regular formula and mix it.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
I believe that all dogs can eat all dogs foods - assuming the food is relatively healthy. The difference tends to be the amount of fat and protein (as far as age specific and weight specific), and maybe the amount of filler. For example, if a senior eats puppy chow, he may get fat... and he may have the chance of an upset stomach from too much protein.

On the other hand, weight loss chow, and senior chow may be the same as adult formula, except with fewer calories. So a cup of senior may leave a 3 yo dog hungrier than a cup of adult chow.

I think that small dog formula has smaller kibble. Not sure which brands.

As far as changing foods, you can change immediately, general practice is to change from the old food to the new food incrementally over a week or two.

I don't think you made a big mistake... it's like feeding an adult human some baby food or a teenager some bland vegetables...

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Solid Gold makes a small kibble called Just A Wee Bit. It's not their best food but it's okay.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Look for labels like "small breed" or "small bites." I want to say that Pro Plan has small sized kibbles, but it's been a long time since I've looked at them.

Edit: Yep, they do.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Senior food has more filler to lower the calories. As such, it's a bit of a money waster (just feed less if your dog is gaining weight), but it's not dangerous.

For future reference, petsmart will take back an opened bag of food. Their return policy is very liberal.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, phew thanks guys!! So I know Luke will be okay and that ProPlan does have smaller kibble, thanks. I will look that up next time we go; PetsMart will take the bag back? Interesting, thank you.

If we had to switch, what brand of dog food do you guys recommend? Has to be small kibble too.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
What is your price point? Pro Plan is over priced for what you get - lots of grain that isn't digested by a dog and passes right on through. The premium grain free kibbles will cost more, but you can feed less of it b/c they're nutrient dense and well digested. Poops will be smaller, too - bonus!! Whatever you change to, make sure you change very slowly (2-4 weeks) to avoid tummy upset.

Many premium kibbles are naturally small enough for a small dog; others come in a small bites variety. I'm currently feeding Evo. Innova Prime is also good, as is Wellness Core, Blue Buffalo, Acana grain free, Earthborn, and Nature's Variety Instinct. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I know Wellness Super5Mix Small Breed has very small pieces. Sydney wasn't a big fan, but she can be kind of finicky. Earthborn Primitive Natural has pretty small pieces too, at least compared to Taste of the Wild, which is pretty big.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
georgiapeach--right now I'm paying $13.00 for Luke's food. I don't mind that, I actually liked the Buffalo Blue and he loved it, but at the time my father said it was just too much money, if they ever went down in price I'd like to go back to it. Some of the food brands you mentioned I haven't heard of it except for Wellness. Actually Luke's poops range from small to large at some points. Are the food brands you mentioned in PetsMart or do I have to go elsewhere for them?

kafabeetle--never heard of that one either, but it's good to know the brands have small kibble. I will look for it.

To tell you the truth guys, I never knew what to pick out for Luke via food. Before we got him I went around talking to other dog owners where I worked and asked what they used. Two had Buffalo Blue and one used ProPlan and said it was good for her Rottie because he lived a long time (longer than any Rottie would). This seems kind of silly to ask now, but what do I look for if I change foods?

·
Registered
792 Posts
You want the first ingredient to be meat. There are some things that some people like to avoid and others not, but I think most would agree that some type of meat should be the first (therefore the highest percentage of the total product) ingredient.

I've found dogfoodadvisor.com to be very helpful, as it breaks down ingredient lists and gives ratings.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
I have been feeding this for 6 weeks now to both my small dogs ... Wellness Super5MIx. They are doing great on this food. They have more energy and Eddee's hair is getting really shiny! Plus I only have to feed 1 cup per day to each dog. :) I am sold on it for my small ones! Notice it says "Adult Health" in "green" writing. There are two different small breed foods ... easy to mix up if you should ever decide to try it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Abbylynn and Avery! I will look on the ProPlan bag to see what it says and to check out other foods too. Thank you for the website as well, I'll check it out right now. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts