Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for the ideas, folks! I will definitely start off with easier fillings until he gets the hang of the Kong.

Dozi, I obviously wouldn't have tried putting food in a Kong if I thought the dog wouldn't like it. That would be a foolish waste of my time, no? The problem is not that he doesn't like food, the problem is that I packed it in such a way that the food won't come out. I already know he doesn't appreciate the Kong as a toy, so if the food won't come out, it is of no interest to him. The purpose of my question was to determine how others fill their Kongs so that I might try a technique that will allow him easier access to the food, thereby making the Kong appealing to him. I believe I also pointed out that I am not set on the dog using the Kong. If it is of no interest to him, then it is of no interest to him. I would like to try and make it interesting before I throw it away, though. If you've got advice to that end, I would definitely like to hear it!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for the ideas, folks! I will definitely start off with easier fillings until he gets the hang of the Kong.

Dozi, I obviously wouldn't have tried putting food in a Kong if I thought the dog wouldn't like it. That would be a foolish waste of my time, no? The problem is not that he doesn't like food, the problem is that I packed it in such a way that the food won't come out. I already know he doesn't appreciate the Kong as a toy, so if the food won't come out, it is of no interest to him. The purpose of my question was to determine how others fill their Kongs so that I might try a technique that will allow him easier access to the food, thereby making the Kong appealing to him. I believe I also pointed out that I am not set on the dog using the Kong. If it is of no interest to him, then it is of no interest to him. I would like to try and make it interesting before I throw it away, though. If you've got advice to that end, I would definitely like to hear it!
You did not mention that he did not like it as a toy in your initial post... so I put it out there.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I just put spoonfuls of PB in Uallis's. I don't really freeze the kongs anymore. He'll work at it until he has every last bit of PB out of it.

My dogs don't care for Kongs to just play with...they only show interest in it if there is food inside it.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It didn't really occur to me to just use it as a treat and not put his dinner in it at all. I guess I was very focused on killing two birds with one stone, lol.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts