Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven't read already, I was getting a puppy on Friday but the girl decided she wanted to keep her! Big time bummed but I'm just gonna go adopt a puppy from the shelter by our house this weekend.
Anyways, I read the booklet about before you get your puppy & in it it says to use a portion of what you'll feed the pup to put in the chew toys. Has anyone done this & how exactly does it work?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I used to smear a little peanut butter as glue on the inside of a kong, pour kibble in and forced in more so it wouldn't fall out on its own too fast. Better would be to think ahead, soften the kibble a bit with water, stuff the kong and freeze it. The idea is it is more interesting to eat food that is harder to get so occupies the pup longer and maybe tires him/her out a bit.

Get several kongs, I have at least three sizes - no four. Not sure why but it seems a good idea to me for some reason. I don't know that the company publishes the volume of the different sized kongs, be nice. Anyway, the stuffed kong doesn't have to be the whole meal so don't worry about that too much.

There are plenty of other food puzzles out there too. Most are meant to bat around to knock out the kibble and are super fun but not sure that is the way to go with a new pup. Sure worked great with an adolescent adoption though.

And hand feeding is amazing as a bonding exercise. You don't have to feed all the meals that way but do some hand feeding handling the new dog and talking quietly to him/her while the dog is eating.

·
Registered
232 Posts
There are a TON of kong stuffing recipes online. I like to have 3 or 4 kongs around (when I have a new foster or adopt a new dog) for crate training. I plug the bottom hole (the tiny one) with peanut butter, pour a portion of their daily ration in the kong, until it's full then pour fruit juice or plain yogurt, or salmon oil and water, or tuna/sardine water... etc, or a mix of all of the above LOL) then freeze overnight. Depending on the size of the dog, they might get the rest of their meals in a bowl, but small dogs obviously wont. I give them the kongs when I put them in the crate, (at night, when I go to work, and if I (or my dogs) just need quiet time :) )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts