Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three Labradors at home - mom, son and daughter. They do well while I am at work, although I have the chewed book case corners and holey sofa to show that wasn't always the case.

I'm curious if anyone uses their tablet (specifically iPad) to remotely watch/check in on their pets while away? I'm sure there is an app for this - very similar to a baby monitor - that I could remotely turn on and (perhaps) speak to the dogs through my phone.

Does anyone have suggestions for this? I have a Samsung Galaxy 5 smart phone, so the app/program would need to be compatible between Android and iTunes.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Easiest way I know of is to set up a Skype account and call yourself. You can set the account to automatically start video, and automatically answer calls. (or answer calls from a specific person)

It is free to download and free to call other Skype users (you have to pay if you want to call actual phone #'s)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
You can buy an IP camera and view it remotely from any location with internet access as long as the camera at home is connected to the internet.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I use Skype. You set up one account on your phone (probably your persona account), and one account for the dogs (which will require having a secondary email address). Then you can set the dog's account to accept all incoming calls automatically, but only from people on the friend list.

I use my laptop for this, but I imagine you could use an ipad in the same way. I just make sure the camera is set up in the best spot to see the whole room and leave the laptop on, then I can call in whenever I want from my phone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips, all. I will try the Skype option (and auto-pick-up) and see how that works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts