Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am a full time student college student and live in an apartment (we will be moving to a house in about 5 months). I am home almost everyday working on school work. My husband and I recently got a dalmatian puppy. When we first got her we didn't want her on the furniture. During the day when I was trying to work she was always running around and never seemed to relax or take a nap. This made it very hard for me to get any work done. One day while I was in the kitchen she jumped up on the couch and instantly fell asleep. When I came back in I was just so excited that she was asleep that I let her stay up there. Since then whenever she wants to relax she jumps up on the couch which has been great. We recently bought her a dog bed and now I would like for her to use the pillow instead of the couch to sleep and transition her to not being allowed on the couches again. I mainly want to do this because I don't want her jumping up on other peoples couches when we visit. Since the dog bed is on the floor and she associates the floor with play time, she hasn't really fallen asleep or relaxed on the blanket. She will just play with her toys on it. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get my dog to associate the bed with relaxation instead of the couch? Or is it possible that she won't get on other peoples couches if we tell her no and I don't even need to be worried about this?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
There's a class for that! FE165: Magic Mats: Where to be, When to go, and What to dohttps://fenzidogsportsacademy.com/index.php/courses/17557 is running in this Fenzi Dog Sports Academy session. Classes started on the 1st, but enrollment runs through the 15th. Tuition starts at only $65 and there are scholarships available that will cover half that if you need a bit of help. The deadline to apply for scholarships is tomorrow, if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
It's important to make the bed the most rewarding place for your pup to be. The class LeoRose mentions would be a great help to you, I think! Teach her to "go to bed" or "go to place" or whatever you want the cue to be, and reward her heavily for being there. If she chooses to lay on her bed on her own, reward heavily, then give her periodic rewards for staying there. Prevent her access to the couch by redirecting her to her bed when she looks like she wants to get on the couch, and if you can't supervise she should be crated so she can't climb up there while you're not watching.

Also, make sure the bed is really comfy! My dog is allowed on the furniture, but he will always choose the most comfy spot. If its his bed, he will go to the bed. If a bed is not comfy enough for him and needs to be fluffed, he will let us know by sitting on us or scratching at the bed. This may just be my dog, but I've found I have the most luck getting him to stay on a bed if its comfy for him, lol.

Also, although my dog is allowed on the furniture at our house, he generally isn't at other people's. I do not have trouble getting him to stay on the bed at my parents' house, but I also taught him "go to bed". It took a bit before he stopped trying to climb on furniture at my parents' house, but he can be trusted to stay off with little intervention, now. I mean, it's usually only three days of being slightly more vigilant on visits to other peoples houses, so I guess I've never felt I need to teach the dog to stay off of furniture for that reason. I do what I want in my house, but I have given my dog the right training to make him behave differently in other people's houses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts