Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, my SO and I were given an Italian Greyhound because a woman couldn't care for him. He is 8 months old and is not potty trained. He does have a crate and will go to the bathroom outside and when he does we praise him. But he will come back in and use the bathroom in the house, which is especially bad because he has diarrhea :( We have only had him for a day but I would like some suggestions. My 9 week old was trained in a day and this 8 month old seems like he will be difficult. Any help appreciated

Also he barks and whines in the crate alot...we don't let him out until he stops but is there something else we should do?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Crates can be a big help for potty training but, I don't use one when the dog has diarrhea. I confine them to the laundry room or bathroom where they don't have to lay in their own mess. Barking and whinning can be partly new environment and part illness. Under the circumstances I would allow him some leeway for a few days.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I would actually recommend starting with the rules you need to use long term from the beginning.

1. NEVER let the dog be unsupervised anywhere you don't want him to potty unless he's in his crate.
2. Take the dog out WAY more frequently then he 'should' have to go. As soon as he goes, throw a party and go for a short walk, play a game, or whatever- don't let him learn that 'pottying outdoors' = 'get taken back indoors and put in the crate'.
3. Be patient, but be consistant. Get him out there. When he screws up, hit yourself on the head and say "Bad human< I should have been supervising him better."

Iggies are NOTORIOUS for being really difficult to housebreak. Hang in there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts