Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious when using a dog lead in the house to keep an eye on the dog....how long of a lead should you use....?

thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use 6ft and keep it attached to me.
Good way to keep an eye on the pup, and he learns that he has to pay attention to you so he dosnt get whacked into furniture lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
I personally attach the leash to my person. I wear a belt and attach the handle of the leash to it. I tried once to attach it to a small table with another puppy I had years ago but something spooked her and she went to move really fast and pulled the table with which freaked her out even more. She wouldn't go near that table for a long time. Plus something about having your puppy attached to you and always near you I believe helps to re enforce your bond.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
As the training progresses you can shorten the length of the lead. For example, in the early stages of potty training, where you need to keep an eye on them every second, then the lead can be tied around your waist. Later on the lead can be just a few inches long. Trainers often cut an old lead down from the snap to just 6" or so. That way, they're not dragging a long leash around the house but, it gives you something to grab a hold of instead of the collar or the scruff.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I had Scarlett on a lead in the house for a while. I used a 4 ft lead and it would either be attached to me, or she would just be dragging it. I never tied it to anything, if I needed her confined in one spot I used an x-pen in my kitchen.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I didn't leave it on when I wasn't watching her, for instance when she was ex-penned or crated I took it off, so I would just stop her when I saw her chewing it. Bitter apple spray works too, at least for alot of dogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts